Status
Not open for further replies.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
If they were, then they'd be as popular as EBJDs.

Or you could line breed them to be black fish with blue spangles (or whatever).

Wild-type (i.e. brown) discus are beautiful. Most people like the electric orange fancy ones.

Breeding an electric orange fancy one to a wild discus would produce a fish with the aquarist-desired characteristics of both (that's not how genetics works). Several more generations of line-breeding might, though...

Wild caught Jack dempsey from Tabasco Mexico
So these traits aren't desirable?

View attachment 1195577

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
If they were, then they'd be as popular as EBJDs.

Or you could line breed them to be black fish with blue spangles (or whatever).

Then point is this Fish clearly has desirable traits and we are talking different fish festae was the topic you brought up examples of discus and guppies
...two completely different fish. Don your have any fish that you can provide that are your fish? Or that you bred?

Wild-type (i.e. brown) discus are beautiful. Most people like the electric orange fancy ones.

Breeding an electric orange fancy one to a wild discus would produce a fish with the aquarist-desired characteristics of both (that's not how genetics works). Several more generations of line-breeding might, though...

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
In most cases people would be much better off not buying wild caught fish. They often come in with parasites, color up later, and take a lot more time to settle in to tank life. F0 seems to be more of a status symbol with fish keepers then anything else. F0 certainly does not mean more colorful as bright colors in nature is often not great for survival. It is good to bring in new genetics but I would much rather have a non related F1 or F2 pair then wild.

I would just keep the collection location with the festae but they are your fish and you can hype them however you like. They are a very nice pair!! Well done finding them and growing them out.

Are those jacks going to be Hotsauce Jack Dempsey's? Sorry I couldn't resist, all in good fun.

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
In most cases people would be much better off not buying wild caught fish. They often come in with parasites, color up later, and take a lot more time to settle in to tank life. F0 seems to be more of a status symbol with fish keepers then anything else. F0 certainly does not mean more colorful as bright colors in nature is often not great for survival. It is good to bring in new genetics but I would much rather have a non related F1 or F2 pair then wild.

I would just keep the collection location with the festae but they are your fish and you can hype them however you like. They are a very nice pair!! Well done finding them and growing them out.

Are those jacks going to be Hotsauce Jack Dempsey's? Sorry I couldn't resist, all in good fun.

It's all good nope Jd from Tabasco Mexico....ill.keep like that goodone....
Yeah every one can have different opinions, and
experiences, so anyhow the post modern thought is we all fall in line based on the old guard...I don't care about that so I call them what I feel like it's pure project!

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Wild caught Jack dempsey from Tabasco Mexico
So these traits aren't desirable?

View attachment 1195577
I'd say very desirable. One thing WC fish can offer is usually better genetics or should I say the gene pool is more diverse. For example many tank raised or line bred fish might be more colorful sometimes, but with that sometimes you get deformities or health issues. Especially w/ JDs where most tend to get that banana shape. Adult wild ones I see have a strait body. Heck, I think adult EBJDs are ugly. They start out nice, but seem to lose the color w/ age. Plus they are fragile and hard to even grow to adult age.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Mother Nature produces desirable traits for survival in the wild. Those same traits are sometimes desirable and sometimes not desirable in the aquarium. (Skilled) Line breeding accentuates the traits that are desirable to aquarists (sometimes to an extreme). It probably also makes the fish useless for survival in the wild.

I've collected, kept and bred lots of wild cichlids. You find colorful, nicely shaped fish and pretty plain and weird-shaped ones too. I tend to keep cichlids is species tanks and do my best to keep them authentic to what's found in the wild.

I'm not a fan of cross collecting points as fish that are different locations of the same species one day can become different species the next (i.e. their offspring would technically be hybrids).

Sof your saying mother nature doesn't produce desirable traits? Then why is wild a desired commodity? Have you seen wild caught Festae? Have you seen wild caught Umbee? Location points vary on specific traits but you can't tell me what Mother nature produces isn't quality? Isn't there a demand for wild caught blood? Also have you tested your theory dog if war? I have pictures....do you

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Mother Nature produces desirable traits for survival in the wild. Those same traits are sometimes desirable and sometimes not desirable in the aquarium. (Skilled) Line breeding accentuates the traits that are desirable to aquarists (sometimes to an extreme). It probably also makes the fish useless for survival in the wild.

I've collected, kept and bred lots of wild cichlids. You find colorful, nicely shaped fish and pretty plain and weird-shaped ones too. I tend to keep cichlids is species tanks and do my best to keep them authentic to what's found in the wild.

I'm not a fan of cross collecting points as fish that are different locations of the same species one day can become different species the next (i.e. their offspring would technically be hybrids).
You know, now I have an odd mix of NA/CA cichlids. I am thinking of splitting them up, and keep groups from a certain location. I really think that will be the best way to see natural behaviors.

Reactions: dogofwar
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store