Imperial Line Festae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Stanz those are some nice cichlids, I know they're in the firemouth family and it's nice to see a more exotic variety not often seen in stores. Also like the wild type swordtails to compliment them. Where'd you pick those guys up? Have they bred for you yet? Sorry for the derail but this thread is going all over the place anyway
Hi, pleased you like the fish.
The thorichthys I had off a breeder on a UK Forum. He is a friend of Rusty Wessel and he visits him quite often and returns with some really nice fish.The swordtails are from the Rio Otapa in Mexico.Rusty Wessel collected some from this location and gave some to my contact in the UK.These are the offspring of those fish collected by Rusty.They have been breeding for me and I am currently growing on around 100 fry.
The thorichthys are also breeding.i have 4 pairs all with fry as I type.
Some of these I will keep for my own display tank,and some I will pass on.

Reactions: fishfanatic80

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Good post!

You're trying to keep the Thoricthys authentic to the wild-type, so naming them as you have makes perfect sense (for yourself and for sharing / trading).

Let's say that - in an attempt to create "better" T. helleri - that you started line breeding fish with the tallest bodies, most blue sparkles, etc. from this locality. Maybe from different localities as well. Well, maybe, once you'd done more than mix two nice looking fish, it would make sense to call them some made up name.

As an aside, I'd bet that some people think that F2 fish are somehow inferior to F1 and that F1 fish are inferior to wild fish...that each generation results in fish more inbred and more prone to disease and deformities. That's just not the case. Wild fish or fish that have been indiscriminately line bred can introduce deformities or illness (as well as be counterproductive to creating stable lines of "fancy" fish). It's the individual fish and not the "wildness" and certainly not in linear or predictable ways.
Thanks.
Personally I am a bit of a purist so I would not do anything to try to change or improve them in any way.
Some fish that are line bred are indeed very pretty but the very idea that they have been altered due to human intervention puts me off.
I think on the whole,the aquatic community likes line bred fish like oscars, electric blue acaras, ebjd,discus,angels livebearers etc and i have to agree a lot of these fish do become hardier in captivity than a lot of the wild forms do.
But give me a silver and black striped angel over a blue or koi or marble any day of the week.
Line bred fish lose their authenticity for me.This is just personal taste probably because I am a fan of natural biotope style aquariums.
Completely agree with you on the F1,F2 thing though.

Reactions: fishfanatic80

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Hi, pleased you like the fish.
The thorichthys I had off a breeder on a UK Forum. He is a friend of Rusty Wessel and he visits him quite often and returns with some really nice fish.The swordtails are from the Rio Otapa in Mexico.Rusty Wessel collected some from this location and gave some to my contact in the UK.These are the offspring of those fish collected by Rusty.They have been breeding for me and I am currently growing on around 100 fry.
The thorichthys are also breeding.i have 4 pairs all with fry as I type.
Some of these I will keep for my own display tank,and some I will pass on.
That's great news that you've been able to have success in breeding, happy to hear that those fish are producing offspring. I agree with your ideals 100% about authenticity becoming lacking through line breeding. Love keeping it natural because as a hobbyist I believe in replicating nature.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
I think this thread is starting to drift a little.
The title of the thread is imperial line festae,that is the part that's up for debate to me me.
I currently keep and breed some f2 Thorichthys helleri laguna catazaja.

View attachment 1195644

The name of these fish is pretty self explanatory. it tells us the genus,species and where they can be found.
Being f2 fish and in my eyes,attractive with desirable traits,I consider them a nice line to breed.I see no need to find new blood as they are close to wild and will produce healthy replicas of their parents for many generations to come.
My question is,If when I grow on my first batches of fry to move on into the hobby,will I be doing the hobby a favour by changing their true descriptive, self explanatory name to something like,rebel alliance helleri.
Or,would that just make people scratch their heads and say WTF is that all about?

That would be your option? No one ever asked how many generations I've been breeding you make an asssss sumptuous on what I have and how long the project has gone

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
Thanks.
Personally I am a bit of a purist so I would not do anything to try to change or improve them in any way.
Some fish that are line bred are indeed very pretty but the very idea that they have been altered due to human intervention puts me off.
I think on the whole,the aquatic community likes line bred fish like oscars, electric blue acaras, ebjd,discus,angels livebearers etc and i have to agree a lot of these fish do become hardier in captivity than a lot of the wild forms do.
But give me a silver and black striped angel over a blue or koi or marble any day of the week.
Line bred fish lose their authenticity for me.This is just personal taste probably because I am a fan of natural biotope style aquariums.
Completely agree with you on the F1,F2 thing though.

That tells me everything your a purist....like I said I have no need to fall in line with the purist I do my own thing....

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
I think this thread is starting to drift a little.
The title of the thread is imperial line festae,that is the part that's up for debate to me me.
I currently keep and breed some f2 Thorichthys helleri laguna catazaja.

View attachment 1195644

The name of these fish is pretty self explanatory. it tells us the genus,species and where they can be found.
Being f2 fish and in my eyes,attractive with desirable traits,I consider them a nice line to breed.I see no need to find new blood as they are close to wild and will produce healthy replicas of their parents for many generations to come.
My question is,If when I grow on my first batches of fry to move on into the hobby,will I be doing the hobby a favour by changing their true descriptive, self explanatory name to something like,rebel alliance helleri.
Or,would that just make people scratch their heads and say WTF is that all about?

Again you do you I'll continue to do me. I have location point wc male but my option. I chose to be of a project
And I don't care what you guys think.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
That would be your option? No one ever asked how many generations I've been breeding you make an asssss sumptuous on what I have and how long the project has gone
First of all, what the he'll are you talking about.
I made no assumptions about anything to do with your breeding project.

Secondly your grammar is hard to understand.
Are you five years old.

And last of all,not once have I said you should do as I do.
I'm just saying the name thing is bloody stupid.
At least your entertainment.

Reactions: jonclark96
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store