Indo Dats not settling

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
I had bought 3 juvenile indos and they were in a 20 gallon tank for a few weeks. Two of them settled in and were stable almost all the time. The third one with a split bar was pushed into a corner and would eat only live feed whereas the other two started eating shrimp.

Then i shifted them into a 90 gallon tank with clown loaches, yo-yos and a few young plecos. They are always in hiding and look unstable at all times. Drop shrimps or carnivore pellets in, they dart in quick grab the food and get back into hiding.

What can i do to make them shine? :(

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You'll just have to wait until they become comfortable enough in their new surroundings to come out and become stable.While there is no telling how long that may take it will help if their tankmates are peaceful.

Reactions: kno4te

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's what i'm doing :) Happy they are still gluttons
Yes,that is good.
I don't even provide anywhere for my young dats to hide anymore.I have found that with no hides and without the tank lights constantly being on and the dats not being bothered by any other fish,they become more outgoing over time.

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
So i guess it's the lights that they don't seem to like. Tank is in total darkness and the three are apparently roaming around in full stable glory. Just got a call from my excited wife :)

Now to live with a dark tank for some time i guess. Sigh

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So i guess it's the lights that they don't seem to like. Tank is in total darkness and the three are apparently roaming around in full stable glory. Just got a call from my excited wife :)

Now to live with a dark tank for some time i guess. Sigh
I touched on that in my previous post.Is your tank in a basement or a windowless room?...I have found that most newly purchased young dats do not like bright lighting and keeping the tank rather dim helps keep them at ease while they get accustomed to the tank.

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
Yes you did and that's why i tried keeping the lights switched off :)

Tank is in my flat in between rooms. Had a nice gap between the walls which was just perfect for a four feet tank to be placed. No direct sunlight but not dark either.

What is surprising is that the omega who was the weak link when in the 20 gallon is the most stable in the 90 gallon now. Funny how a different tank can change fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store