Indoor pond humidity

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
I’m starting to get the itch to build an indoor pond, probably 4x5 maybe. How much would something like that contribute towards humidity levels in the house?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
All depends on the temperatures and where it is situated. Mine is in the fish house and not the house and because of that I have it open top. This causes a lot of humidity and the external windows are always drip wet through throughout winter months when it’s less than 20 outside (usually -4 to 6 for 5 months). No issue with dripping throughout summer months when outside temp is 20 and above. Fish house is circa 24.
I had an open top 390l marine tank in the house and was topping up 20l per week every week through humidity loss until I changed to a bigger closed style.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I recently installed a 400g stock tank in my one car garage. I hadnt counted on it regulating temperature in that room so effectively, but the 2x 500w heaters keep the entire room at 75F that is normally 40-50 at this time of year. The humidity is also noticeably higher, but i have mitigated a lot of this problem with a plastic tarp strapped down tight covering the entire tank.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have one open-topped small stock tank in my basement, 5-foot diameter. It's not heated and sits up on conrete blocks a couple feet off the floor, so it's usually a degree or two below ambient air temperature, which can be as high as 75F in mid-summer and as low as 58-60F in mid-winter. I use a dehumidifier sized appropriately for the volume of the basement and attached crawlspace. It seems to be quite capable of maintaining the humidity between 40 and 50% in the summer, when it runs almost continuously. In the winter, the humidity stays around 40% on its own and the dehumidifier rarely turns on.

The basement is heated entirely by electric heat; the wood-burning stove upstairs doesn't really do anything for it. The dehumidifier generates a fair bit of heat when it's running...meaning that it's helping to heat the basement in the summer when I don't need it...and not heating at all during the winter when I could really use it...:)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store