"inherited" fish..what size tank for them???

agreeive?fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
oklahoma
Ok i "inherited" 4 VERY LARGE red-tail sharks.. what size tank do i need for them..yes iam aware i might not get them to live peacefully in any size tank..but whats a good size to try?

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
An uncle had 2 in a 180 with no issues. That's about all the experience i have.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I have a red tail and an albino rainbow shark in my 450 I can't imagine adding another but if all four have been living together long enough to get big they may have reached a truce. Even so that will probably change unless you have a really big tank. How large is "very large" mine are both around four inches and the red tail is quite chunky, the rainbow is much slimmer and subordinate

agreeive?fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
oklahoma
4-5 inches range and chunky and from what i have been told have been together since they were pet store size little tykes. currently they are in my 65g planted(too small i know) but i didnt have anyplace else to put them...i have a 90 thtas supposed to be set up for my reef, and an empty 55g.. but iam sure neither of them would be big enough either

Last edited:

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Are yours getting a green shade along the back? Very subtle and very cool.
If you set up a variety of bottom structures and not to many other bottom dwellers (loaches or cories maybe) the 90 might work. What size tank did they come from?

agreeive?fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
oklahoma
Are yours getting a green shade along the back? ...yes....Very subtle and very cool.
If you set up a variety of bottom structures and not to many other bottom dwellers (loaches or cories maybe) the 90 might work. What size tank did they come from? ....dont know...meet in parking lot guy was gonna flush them ...

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Are yours getting a green shade along the back? ...yes....Very subtle and very cool.
If you set up a variety of bottom structures and not to many other bottom dwellers (loaches or cories maybe) the 90 might work. What size tank did they come from? ....dont know...meet in parking lot guy was gonna flush them ...
I had two rainbow sharks (one albino) in a 75 with no issues, but when I moved them into my 20x20x36 (tall column) the albino took to hiding behind the filter tube and eventually perished... I think that having ample habitat low in the tank is the key, maybe 3-4 square feet per fish? Of course these things always depend on the temperment of the individuals as much as anything else.......

agreeive?fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
oklahoma
set up the 55g for them only with lots of pvc pipe caves ... there seems to be a peace truce in the tank, no one single fish is being singled out or picked on..yes there is some small chasing if one ventures close to the others "home"..including the smallest chasing the biggest away..nothing more than a few second chase them its back to minding their own business

agreeive?fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
oklahoma
filtration is something iam still working on..couple of small hob for now and weekly water change...gonna set filtration up with sump set up...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store