Intermediate bass fishing advice?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If you have never compared an Ugly Stick with the sensitivity of another rod, then you would have no idea what sensitivity is. Comapring the sensitivity of an Ugly Stick with, let's say, G. Loomis, there is a day and night difference. Ugly Sticks are made for people to thrash and not break. They are built tough as nails, but not made for sensitivity. I have personally used both. There were probably fish that have bit that you never knew about.
lol dude...I've fished with countless other rods, I'm saying I've never had an issue with an ugly stik and setting a hook that's all. I was just giving MY fishing advice on a fishing thread. Most of my bassing days, if the bites on, I hook enough good fish to not worry if I miss a dink or two running with my rig and me not feeling it hahaha. I like to land big bass, not 1 pounders.
I was saying for the price you can't beat one.

fish_sauce

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2009
Taiwan
lol dude...I've fished with countless other rods, I'm saying I've never had an issue with an ugly stik and setting a hook that's all. I was just giving MY fishing advice on a fishing thread. Most of my bassing days, if the bites on, I hook enough good fish to not worry if I miss a dink or two running with my rig and me not feeling it hahaha. I like to land big bass, not 1 pounders.
I was saying for the price you can't beat one.
I had an old ugly stick that I used as a saltwater setup for boat fishing. That rod went to a friend when I moved out of the country. I miss that rod.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
the older ones, when they first made them, where miles above the new ones
I have one that I got in 1992 and it was already at LEAST 10 years old. Back them they had a lifetime warrantee instead of the new 7-year warrantee and Hulk Hogan used to bend them from tip to butt to test them for us :p

You know the Hulkster is still using Ugly Stiks lol

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

Linh Nguyen

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
My bass setup is a pair of St Croix 7' MH, one with a Shimano Curado the other a Calcutta. 20lbs braided on both.

Linh Nguyen

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Never had a Calcutta or a Curado......are they worth the extra $$$ for a $100 reel?
Everyone will have their preference in baitcasters, I've been using Calcuttas for fresh and saltwater deep sea trips for almost 30 years. They're not bad for casting a 1/8 ounce lure into the wind either :)

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Everyone will have their preference in baitcasters, I've been using Calcuttas for fresh and saltwater deep sea trips for almost 30 years. They're not bad for casting a 1/8 ounce lure into the wind either :)
ORLY??!!! A baitcaster rated for 12-14lb mono that can cast 1/8oz. INTO THE WIND??!!!

Now that's gotta be pretty smooth. I'm sure the 7 foot rod doesn't hurt.....I see all the pros using St. Croix nowadays, but I still have yet to hold one myself.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, I couldn't wait to share my opinion :)

Disclaimer: this comes from a guy that owns 17 rod and reel combos and fishes every single weekend most times regardless of weather.

Fishing is about fun. If you buy braid and a heavy duty rod and keep horsing them in, what fun will that be? My fun comes from losing some, you get that much hungrier for more. With that said, I NEVER fish with anything more than 8 lb for bass, most times I use 6 lb. I am a fan of mono because of the stretch to it, in my opinion you only need fluorocarbon if you target picky fish because it's supposed to be most invisible in water, and bass will hit absolutely anything so don't worry. If you don't like the stretch and memory of mono try nanofil. Mono is cheap, strip the stretched line and get more, that just means you are fishing and catching fish. Hell I fish for salmon with 10 lb mono, pisses people off when it takes me 15 minutes to land a fish, but screw em I'm there for fun, and that's the fight. Just set your drag right and don't fight against em when they run, that's where you acquire proper fighting skill.

Reels do not very much matter. Go to Walmart and get a shimano Sierra or sienna or whatever the $25 one is. Most drags nowadays are good enough that the difference of losing fish is negligible if at all. My one $500 rod has a $20 used classifieds reel on it, an old Mitchell, I catch tons of trout on it. Spend the extra money on a nice rod or tackle.

Bass starter kit: couple jointed rapalas, vary the colour for dirty or clean water. #1-3 mepps or blue fox spinner (#1 black fury for low clear water and a #3 Vibrimax chartreuse for opposite), 1 spinner bait, 1 5 of diamond's spoon, split shots, egg or bell sinkers for a Carolina rig, and most importantly jig heads with twister tails. Then you can supplement with some senko worms, cray fish, and frog plastics. A couple Wooley buggers or egg sucking leech flies won't hurt for under your bobber, which should be a slip bobber for those down deep basstards (see what I did there?)

And now on to my favourite part, the rod. Back to my fishing is all about fun comment: buy an ultra light rod. I will tell you there is nothing like pulling out fish on an ultra light with 6 lb test line. A 2 lb bass feels like a 5 lber, and a 5 lber will give you the fight of your life. Make sure your drag is loose and get ready for a 10 minute fight on the big ones, and let them run as long as they want like a trout. Most ultra light are medium action, which means your rod will bend like a U which is not only cool but absorbs a good amount of head shakes and get's you added sensitivity, plus protect's your line for those panicked crazy hook sets. Sure you can buy a 7 - 9 foot salmon rod with a bait caster full of braid and bring in everyone, but I find you will learn less this way. I have never in my life owned a bait caster, spinning is way way more versatile, I have no problem throwing things accurately with a spinning reel. Bonus, ultra light rods are cheap. I caught 10+ lb catfish on an ultra light from my canoe, best fights of my life, then I flipped the canoe in the river and lost the rod. It was an old Abu Garcia, next day I went and bought a st Croix 7 foot 1 piece ultra light, $150 and 5 year warranty, I choose that rod first anytime I don't need a rod that's 10' plus.

If you don't want an ultra light, and I understand, go with a shimano if you want, or spend the extra money and go with a st. Croix, best medium priced rod mainly due to the warranty, break it in anyway and they will replace it. Can't tell you how many times I've had a rod replaced under warranty.

Jeeze I can go all night, I am going to stop here. Chances are some of this was covered already but whatever, I just like to talk fishing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store