Internal overflow placement and drain/return size question

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Does it matter where you place internal overflows ? Im thinking ovetflows located at the corners of the tank would be allow easier access to adjust the stand pipes and mess with the water level in the over flow....thoughts ?

Two questions about drain and return holes.

1)Why is the return pipe/hole smaller than the drain pipes/holes.
Say i am going with 1.5 inch drains do i go with 1 inch returns or 1.5 inches ? And why ?

2) been talking to a couple of tank builders probably sound like an idiot cuz im new to this type of filtration but when im talking about the size of the holes i want drilled should i be telling them that i want to use 1.5 inch plumbing/bulkheads instead of telling them i want 1.5 inch drains ? If they drill 1.5 inch holes then im not gonna be able to use 1.5inch plumbing/bulkheads.

Or am i yet again overthinking this and they know what i mean ?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
#2 -- Uhhhh.....I don't know, never thought about it. I told Midwest "I want 2 inch drains". They just drilled whatever hole size that needs to be -- they just know. When I ordered bulkheads from glass-holes.com, I said "2 inch bulkheads". They fit, 2 inch PVC went in the bulkhead. No problem.

But, you're right--a "2 inch bulkhead" means a bulkhead that accomdates 2 inch pipe. so the hole you drill for that bulkhead is definitely bigger than 2 inches. I don't know what size that hole is, though. look at the glass hole cutters on glass-holes.com.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Tjx ragin. I thougjt chris mentioned the bulkheads where inclded. Any reason you purchased yours from glass-holes ?

I thinkni found the answer to number 1 on the gmacreef link you sent me.

Someone please correcte if im wrong but the drains have to or can be bigger because gravity is causing/powering the siphon where as the pump is powering the water in the return line and can be done without having the need to match the width of the drain line.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Dude--I chose glass-holes because their stuff is "dope". And they give you free candy with every shipment, too.

Those black bulkheads look nice.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I think overflow placement in a tank is important because they skim the surface of the tank. If they're all the way on the end, in the corner, that may be less effective skimming than if they're moved more towards the middle of the tank.

I'd love to know more about it, though. I wonder if corner overflows limit the number of holes that can be drilled?

But, they would be better if they were in the corners of my tank--where they are now makes a corner dead spot each end of my tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Makes perfect sense about the surface skimming.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Jaws, ask your builder if they can create a "coast-to-coast" overflow for you. You can still have your drains in the corner, each corner, but the water canl flow throughout the entire backwall of your tank into the drains.

Food for thought.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hahahha more home work.

Any benefits to the coast to coast ?

Thx man

Jaws, ask your builder if they can create a "coast-to-coast" overflow for you. You can still have your drains in the corner, each corner, but the water canl flow throughout the entire backwall of your tank into the drains.

Food for thought.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thx DN

Ive been doing nothing but reading about sumps. Feel like i am in school again lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store