is an air pump essential?

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Air pumps increase surface area and help oxygenate the water.

Unless you're using it to power equipment eg: protein skimmers etc...it's not necessary IMO.

I run a battery operated air pump on my tank as added insurance against power outages.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
It's not essential, however; what I'd highly recommend is running a sponge filter on top of your existing filter, as if you have a power outage or filter break, the sponge will act as a back-up. This is even better with a battery operated.

Reactions: chopsteeks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use water pumps, hardly ever air pumps.
If I feel the need for extra agitation, I put a venturi tube on the influent of the water pump to the tank. Venturis have an aperture that uses the power of the flow of water to suck air (or ozone, and other gases (Bernoulli's theorum) into the flow, and push the bubbles out into the tank. Many power heads have venturis built right in.

Reactions: boldtogether

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I do not use air pumps.
The water return takes some oxygen with it into the tanks.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Another factor her would be what kind of filter are you using. If it is a HOB you probably will be fine without the air pump. But a canister putting your return back in the tank with little or no surface dsturbance the air pump would be a good idea.
I personally like to see more airation on most tanks. How ever some fish do need calmer water. What kind of fish are in your tank?

Peppersocks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2015
As long as you have the surface being moved then an air pump is not necessary. I still enjoy the look to them

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Are you just talking for aeration into the tank? Not necessary if you have enough surface agitation to get some O2 into the water. I personally use them on all my tanks just because I don't use powerheads in every tank

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
They're also useful for creating updraft currents in dead spots... useful on larger tanks.. and much cheaper to operate than a pump.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
I'm using both. Air pump and power head. But every surface movement give air...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store