Is it true? Synodontis with Electric Cats.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Can Synodontis catfish be kept with Electric Catfish?

For some reason i've heard they are compatible.. Dunno? I can't even remember where i heard this. May have been here.

Cheers guys,
Troy.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I kept a 3 inch synodontis eupterus with a 10 inch electric cat with no problems for a year until i sold the electric catfish. I am not sure about other fish with electric fishes but i have seen electric catfishes with african cichlids and they were doing well and electric eels with large catfish. But, I have also seen the same african Cichlids with electric catfish (all the same size) and it not work out. I think it is based on how much you feed them and hiding places. If you were to provide enough hiding spots and enough food (i assume the electric cat will not be able to eat the synodontis) i think the electric cat would do fine with a synodontis.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, I've read this on here from a few keepers but have no 1st hand experience past 6" wrt to ecat size.

I've kept ~30 different synos and other fish with one electric cafish in a heavily plastic-planted and furnished 120 gal. The only guy he would zap was a 6" 4-line catfish and that only during feeding because the 4-line would feed in a frenzy and the ecat was perhaps irked by it. The ecat would not touch anyone else. That went on for about 6-8 months, then the ecat got his own quarters.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Charney Charney
Really interesting. I have an 18 inch e cat i would love to try with a group of synodontis decorus. Shipmonkey are there any decorus in your group?

shipmonkey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2010
US of A
Charney Charney
No, I have eupterus, clarias, occelifer, nigrata, membracea, and a couple hybrids. They also share the tank with a school of grass cutters and some African brown knifes. The e cat has been in the same tank with most of these guys since he was 3". They have never been fed feeders either. That might explain his mellowness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store