Is it worth a try?

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
My Red Severums have spawned recently. This is the second time they spawned and the eggs all turned white. I'm told it probably is because the male is infertile.Also told most male Red Severums are infertile. I read somewhere that hard water could cause the eggs to turn all white with fungus. Is it worth a try to get some water softening pillows and put them in my filters?Or am I just wasting my money on that?Btw PH is 7.0.

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
Am going to give the male 1 or 2 more tries.But I do think he's infertile.Was thinking about replacing him with a male Rotkeil Severum.So it would be a female Red Severum and a male Rotkeil Severum.This can happen,right? If this does happen what would the fry look like?

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
Are the eggs in a hard spot for the male to get to I think it's a fertilization issue not the ph my rotkiel eggs hatch in about 7.5 -8 ph . Let him try a couple more times but he may just be shooting blanks

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
Well I traded Male Severums with someone in my area. Also put 8 oz of peat in my filter. Within 3 days it brought my PH down to 6.0 in my 90 gallon tank. I took the peat out. We'll see if the new male can do his thing with the female. They are already flirting with each other. Crossing my fingers. Picture is of new male. image.jpg

Reactions: trin dog

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
Not interested in trading. Just stating that I traded already.
Female spawned with her new male mate. When she finished laying eggs. New male ate all the eggs. I do believe this was his first time breeding. It was at least the fifth time for the female. Hopefully the new male will get it right,so I can see if he's infertile or not.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I hope they are not infertile .... cuz I'd like to buy some of the fry from you :) Best of luck! Great looking fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store