Is Java Moss Permanent???????

saradomin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2014
Canada
That guy Dustin on youtube was basically saying that java moss stays in your tank when its in it. So it's impossible to remove completely? I just bought it now but I don't want something that's impossible to remove or kill without tearing down the tank.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
You could turn off lights, that would definitely kill it(along with other plants) but its not that invasive...

1972ford

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
It's a good nitrate sink I pull some out with every water change I figure it always grows back and by having it in there allows me flexibility on my water changes when I get lazy

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
It might be a bit tricky to remove every last shred, but no, it's nowhere near permanent. Carelessly ripping it out won't remove all of it, so that might have been what he meant?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I tend to agree with the guy. If Java moss grows in your tank, you'll forever find it. Kinda like Süßwassertang.
Or it dies and is never seen again.
That's been my experience

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I found it very hard to completely get rid of in a planted tank. Even if I pulled it all out I would find it growing in random places. Couldn't nuke it obviously.

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
Moss lingers it grows from tiny pieces. I love moss! I find crypto to be hard to get rid of. I found some growing in a bucket Of substrate I had taken out of my tank for months. One day I looked at the bucket and there it was growing with little to no water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store