Is my gulper growing too slowly?

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys!

So last November i bought a gulper catfish. The thing was super tiny when i got it, maybe 2-2.5". It now measures around 5.5/6". Its diet has been varied but not the best. The majority of his food has been feeder goldfish. Sometimes he eats shrimp, and even rarely silver sides. 2 weeks ago i decided to stop the goldfish all together. Now im starting the battle of getting him to eat only tilapia fillet, sioversides and shrimp. The gulper is in a 90g with a 12" oscar and a small koi angelfish. The angel was meet to be a snack for the gulper but it showed the angel mercy.
All in all, is this a normal growth rate or did i stunt him?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sounds good to me. They only get a foot, and I've never seen one that bug in captivity, biggest I've heard of was 11". That'll take years.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Gulpers have a varied growth rate. The overall answer is still very slow.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Gulpers have a varied growth rate. The overall answer is still very slow.
Great lol. At least it isn't slow because I did something wrong. I had seen a member post that theirs was growing at 0.5" a month and freaked a bit.

Any of you have tricks to get this thing to eat cut up tilapia? Everyone says gulpers eat anything, but so far the only thing he LOVES to eat is goldfish. He even snubbed off an angel fish.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
You have to starve the tank in order to get him feeding in something else. Unless he doesn't eat what the other fish do then just feed them

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
All it needs is to be starved until it takes the frozen-thawed. It will. It already has for you. They can hold out for a month or longer but usually cave in well before that.

I've got three of them from Ray Chan about the same time. About 3"-4". They are about 6" today. All they ever ate was frozen-thawed and plenty of it.

They seem happy. Growing very slow indeed.

Fast forward to 30 seconds:

• Love
Reactions: lovegulpers

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
All it needs is to be starved until it takes the frozen-thawed. It will. It already has for you. They can hold out for a month or longer but usually cave in well before that.

I've got three of them from Ray Chan about the same time. About 3"-4". They are about 6" today. All they ever ate was frozen-thawed and plenty of it.

They seem happy. Growing very slow indeed.

Fast forward to 30 seconds:

god theyre cute, and holy cow you have quite the collection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store