Is there something wrong with my female Flowerhorn?

SeeVuPlay

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2024
Hello!

I'm new to the Flowerhorn world! So here is the situation. I've got a paired up set of FH. For the past month or more they have been exhibiting breeding behaviors. Moving substrate, slightly aggressive behavior towards each other. For the past couple of days, the female has been just seen bobbing at the surface. She will interact with the male for a few seconds, but will then return to the bobbing position. She has also stopped eating. Does this normally happen before egg laying or could this be a symptom of something worse?? I've got a livestream of the fish up 24/7 if anyone would like to observe their behaviors. Since I can't post any links please search for SeeVuPlay on Twitch to find the stream.

Thank You for any and all help!

SeeVuPlay

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany

From what I have see so far they mostly interacted with each other, but not very energetic. From what you describe I would be suspecting that you had a nitrit peak. But I am not familiar with flowerhorns, so don't take my word for it.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SeeVuPlay

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2024

From what I have see so far they mostly interacted with each other, but not very energetic. From what you describe I would be suspecting that you had a nitrit peak. But I am not familiar with flowerhorns, so don't take my word for it.
Tested the PH and it came in at like 8.4, so changed out the water and she seems to be back to normal now.

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
That is awfully high, how did that happen ?

Is there some chemically active decoration in the tank ? (Like a peace of cheap tile)

Glad to hear they are doing well again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store