Jack Dempseys - EB (male) x BG (female)

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Egg hatched in April. Now the fry are 1.25-1.5 in size. Starting to cull. Planning on three pairings to try to get Platinums.

Plan
Pair #1: EB x gold
Pair #2: BG x gold
Pair #3: EB x gold

I'm hoping that some of these golds carry the blue gene ---- if so, I should get some platinums from the first spawns.

Mom and Dad:

Fry at just under 3 months old:

Golds for the planned pairings:

BigDaddyMagnum

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2008
New York
awesome! might i ask the size of the breeding jds, and your tank size? have a friend in a similar situation female jd and male electric blue..

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
Would you by any chance be willing to sell any of the EBJD?

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
awesome! might i ask the size of the breeding jds, and your tank size? have a friend in a similar situation female jd and male electric blue..
The male is 4.5-5 inches and the female about 3 inches.

Would you by any chance be willing to sell any of the EBJD?
Check out www.aquabid.com ... look in the section for Central American Cichlids ... tampafishman1 has high quality ones for sale. Paul is a great guy and has high quality EBJDs.

I've done some major culling, so the ones that I have available are in the 2 inch range. They are from the spawn noted above.

lekkiandgas

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
hertfordshire, england
Egg hatched in April. Now the fry are 1.25-1.5 in size. Starting to cull. Planning on three pairings to try to get Platinums.

Plan
Pair #1: EB x gold
Pair #2: BG x gold
Pair #3: EB x gold

I'm hoping that some of these golds carry the blue gene ---- if so, I should get some platinums from the first spawns.

Mom and Dad:

Fry at just under 3 months old:

Golds for the planned pairings:

great pics!

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I move em. Habit from the EB breeding days --- the weaker EBs get outcompeted by the stronger BGs.... then the EBs eventually die off .... so soon as I can tell the EBs apart (usually at about 4 weeks) I separate them.

UPDATE: In my first platinum spawn, I culled almost the entire spawn, saved about 5 of the normal appearing ones and the single gold (might be a platinum, hard to tell at this stage). I plan to raise the single gold/platinum fry and then spawn to an EB.

In the 2nd spawn, that I left with the parents, they all seem to be phenotypically normal. No golds in this batch. I'll probably cull this spawn.

I have another Gold male x BG female pair that just spawned, so I'm going to strip the fry and hope that there are some golds or platinums in this one. They just hatched this evening, so I'll strip them soon.

TexOscar1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2014
Texas
I just had a gold female and a BG male spawn twice in the last week, I have stripped both spawns and growing them out until I can tell. There is about a week difference in the spawns but hoping to find some EBJD or golds. I do have a large male gold I may pair with the female gold just to see.
Hoping you produce some platinums!

Reactions: YankeeJack

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
The males are about 4-5 inches and the females about 3 inches. One pair is in a 55 gallon tank and the other is in a 40 breeder. I wouldn't go smaller than a 40 breeder ... it's already kinda small.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store