Jaguar Cichlid - Old and young fish - Breedable ?

coryh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2015
Barnsley
I currently own 2 Jaguar Cichlids, I owned my female for about 4 months, She has begun laying eggs she has laid about 3 batches, she is about 4-5'' in lengh, My male is reletavely new to me but he is a old fish, he is quite large, 8-9'' Lengh and about 2 inch thick, Very beautiful fish both of them. The male was a pair before i got him but he had killed his 'Partner' i guess she had blagged his head too much, you know how females are these days all males can relate ;)

I have placed my tanks side by side show both fish can see each other my female was scared at first but now when the big male comes towards her side she stays there with all fins extended to make her self look bigger.

Is there any possiblilty that they could become a breeding pair, i will not be putting her into his tank yet as i fear for her safety but still, is there any possibility that these could form a breeding pair, both vastly beautiful fish

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Introduce them in same tank and setup a divider in case thing go bad or she not ready to mate yet, after fry hatched you will have to separate the female from the male Jag until she ready to spawn again (it's all depend on each fish character, some pair don't even need to separate them for the rest of their life in same tank but some just want thing go wild and rough)...kinda same like human! Right lol :rolleyes:.

coryh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2015
Barnsley
I currently do not own or able to afford a proper aquarium divider until my pay day, any tips on a DIY divider? I enjoy been creative but i dont know what would be the best way to go about it haha, any tips for a newbie ? :)

The male is relatively new to me so i dont think he has settled into his tank properly yet, do you think it would be better if i took things slowly between them ie keeping them in seperate tanks until the male establishes himself in his new home or just set up a divider and put her in with him so they get to know each other faster properly? I have never tried to breed Jags before, all new experience to me :)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
The problem once the male established, it will become more aggressive and violent. You can search DYI forum for cheap divider :p and if money is tight for you then you just keep thing at it :p have fun!

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
My male is smaller then my female and still puts a good whooping on her when he wants to go and she's not ready I think anything is possible but I don't think its something that can work for long unattended might come home to a messed up female

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
you can make a divider with panel light defuser. they are cheep, also known as egg crate. cut to size with diagonal wire snips. use a peace of hose like you have for your water change hose to pin one side so it stays in place. I have a mated pair of jags, between spawning they are divided. with the divider I just explaned. works great, male jags are wife beaters. they need to be together long enough to spawn, then separated in most cases.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store