Jardini with Clown loaches?

richard yung

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2015
I know jardini's are ruthless killers, but I've seen videos of a big jardini coexist with decent sized clown loaches. I heard clown loaches have a defense mechanism which enables them from getting eaten? Is this true?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
They stick their pectoral fins out and can poke/stab another fish. Making them hard to swallow. As far as it working I see it being possible, but with a lot of cover for them to escape cause I don't see a jar having trouble trying to kill one.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Jardini will kill cl's even if they can't eat them due to the pectoral spikes (this will deter most predators) the problem is with jardini they don't give up easy and the relentless chase causes stress cl's dont do well under stress , if you introduce a large group when the jar is young it'll give you the best chance of housing them ( saftey in numbers ) but in the end it all boils down to your jardini's attitude if you get a killer then chances are you'll lose tankmates

iPat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2011
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
In my own experience I've never had any of my jars attempt to eat any of my clown loaches. The only time I had an accident with any of my aros and loaches was when a loach came up to grab food and my huge silver grabbed it by accident. Silver spat it out after awhile and loach was completely fine

iPat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2011
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Also I've never kept any of my jardinis alone they were always in a community tank. Sure there were little nips here and there but no deaths. My biggest right now is 24in and smallest is 18in and they're in my aro community tank. I feel with age they just mellow out

Reactions: Evz jardini
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store