Jewl Cichlids

PredatoryFishMagazine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
With these guys I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I could do a little research and find out for you. If your interested in breedeing them it's pretty easy if you buy a group of about six when they're still pretty small (around 1 to 2 inches). They'll pair up naturally and spawn for you all the time. Once two of them pair up you'll probably want to take the rest out of the tank (unless it's a pretty good sized tank) to avoid them beating up on everyone else. I used to have a breeding pair in a 29 gallon, but that was when I was like 11 or 12, and I can't remember the difference in males and females now. But I do remember them having babies all the time. Also, I was pretty young, and made the mistake of leaving the other jewels in the tank after they paired up. The two got so territorial they killed the other four. I also remember doing a water change and having one of them swim up and bite my hand.

But I'll do a little research during the night and let you know what I find out.

d20monsteroscar20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Missouri City, TX
Well I will appreciate all the help I can get because the Jewl is one of my oldest cichlid in the tank. however He ( I think) is very shy and is always hidden, and I m afraid if I buy some more of them then my oscars will destroy them. anyways I heard that females get all red is that true?

decoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
The male jewel will from a hump on his head...I have a breeding pair and my male is super aggessive ..He is about 9 to 10 ins with tail...I put a large buttikofi (SP) and the jewel did so much damage by the time I could get him out off my 110 tall ..He died two days later in my 40 gl ..I tried put no luck...Hope that helps you out ......

Decoy

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
decoy said:
The male jewel will from a hump on his head...I have a breeding pair and my male is super aggessive ..He is about 9 to 10 ins with tail...I put a large buttikofi (SP) and the jewel did so much damage by the time I could get him out off my 110 tall ..He died two days later in my 40 gl ..I tried put no luck...Hope that helps you out ......

Decoy
what specie are you referring to? Most people know jewel cichlids to be H. bimaculatus, which is clearly not what you are talking about...

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
Sounds like he/she is talking about Hemichromis fasciatus or Frempongi. If not then that is the largest bimaculatus I have ever heard of. Will definetly need to see some pictures if it is bimaculatus.

decoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Iam talking about the jewel cichlids....I have been breeding all kinds of fish mostly monster fish for almost 14yrs ,So trust me I know what Im talking about !!!! But my wife loves some kinds of cichlid's ,not for me...If ,I was not a serious fish person ,I would not spend $800.00 on a freshwater grouper !!!!!!! OH and by the way my best friend owns a fish store......Thanks !!!!

DECOY

decoy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Yes ,I do just have to wait for my wife not so good posting pics...sorry.....

Regards,

decoy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store