julidochromis dickfieldi not eating?

Garrett.turbo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Canton Ohio
I bought him Saturday, he/she didn't eat Saturday or sunday figured because he was still adjusting.. didn't eat Monday and hasn't ate yet today. I put frozen shrimp in thinking he would for sure eat that. nope swam right past multiples picked up one dropped it. He wont go for nls, and I haven't seen him try for the omega one pellets that I have.. Idk what else I can drop in that will hopefully make it past my swarm of peacocks to the bottom for him/ her to try.. any ideas?

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Not eating can be just temporary acclimation shock, unfamiliar food, or worst, parasite or inability to adapt to new environment. Ask the previous owner what food he has been eating.

I bought several Cryptohero sajica in the last auction that have not eaten for weeks until I found out they eat only flake food, no pellets.

The worst scenario is inability to adapt or parasite. Does your fish give out white feces which is a symptom of parasite. One time I bought a Victorian cichlid from a LFS that refused to eat anything for months until he emaciated to death from self imposed starvation. There was no white feces, just coughing out food but he remained aggressive till death.

UnReel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2015
Lakewood , Ca
Just went thru the same thing with a albino Taiwan reef. Bought it brought it home and added it to the aquarium. It ate on day one. Day two ,three and four it didnt and I noticed it started getting weak and skinny and hung out in the top corner of the tank. I used Api General cure as directed in the aquariums water . After four days of treating the fish I started soaking some Extreme Cichlid pellets in a shot glass filled with water with half a pack of Api general cure and a little ground garlic for 15 min and feed the fish and bingo he started eating on the fourth day of treatment. Been two weeks since and he's getting stronger and better looking every day.hope it helps.

Garrett.turbo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Canton Ohio
Sorry for not getting back on I've been freaking busy. He's chasing the food but I swear I haven't seen him eat minus what the other fish siphon through their gills lol. He's still alive and seems to be ok. Just don't know what he's eating lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store