Jumping in with Crystals

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I love the creativity of the tank, I think you did an excellent job. The moss attached to the driftwood adds a great touch. I believe our tanks are the same size. As far as tips to get them to breed, they like very stable conditions. I use ro water so my ph is very low. I was doing larger water changes then switched to doing small changes twice a week and they started to breed. I'll test my water when I get home to give you an exact number on the ph and temperature but I'm pretty sure it's 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I feed flake food every day to them along with the fish, no special diet required. I'd love to set up a larger shallow tank, probably a frag tank and fill it with shrimp and rasboras

Last edited:
Reactions: convict360

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I love the creativity of the tank, I think you did an excellent job. The moss attached to the driftwood adds a great touch. I believe our tanks are the same size. As far as tips to get them to breed, they like very stable conditions. I use ro water so my ph is very low. I was doing larger water changes then switched to doing small changes twice a week and they started to breed. I'll test my water when I get home to give you an exact number on the ph and temperature but I'm pretty sure it's 77 degrees Fahrenheit. I feed flake food every day to them along with the fish, no special diet required. I'd love to set up a larger shallow tank, probably a frag tank and fill it with shrimp and rasboras
Thanks! Yeah same size right enough, I'll keep in mind about the small changes, do you measure your tds?

25 degrees is totally against what I read online, same with the tds; it seems people can keep and breed them in a variety of conditions, which is great news for me lol.

I don't even do large tanks anymore, biggest I have is the Fluval spec v for my Betta at 19 litres lol.

I know larger tanks are recommend with shrimp etc, but I feel like you lose something in tanks at 50 litres plus...yeah you get a huge colony, but it's harder to kind of watch the collective and individual shrimp up close in bigger tanks...

I've got a small 16x8x8, 16 litre tank coming next week, that I'm either going to set up for crystal blacks, or more sakura red.

I'd wondered why the sakura hadn't been breeding, but I think at 17 degrees the water hasn't been ideal temps. for them, so heater has been ordered!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Thanks! Yeah same size right enough, I'll keep in mind about the small changes, do you measure your tds?

25 degrees is totally against what I read online, same with the tds; it seems people can keep and breed them in a variety of conditions, which is great news for me lol.

I don't even do large tanks anymore, biggest I have is the Fluval spec v for my Betta at 19 litres lol.

I know larger tanks are recommend with shrimp etc, but I feel like you lose something in tanks at 50 litres plus...yeah you get a huge colony, but it's harder to kind of watch the collective and individual shrimp up close in bigger tanks...

I've got a small 16x8x8, 16 litre tank coming next week, that I'm either going to set up for crystal blacks, or more sakura red.

I'd wondered why the sakura hadn't been breeding, but I think at 17 degrees the water hasn't been ideal temps. for them, so heater has been ordered!
The 16'C-18'C temps was more for when they were first imported, now a days they seem to tolerate higher temps, same way they can deal with higher levels of TDS compared to say 10-15 years ago...

For them to breed fastest, i keep my CRS tank at a stable temp of between 24'C - 25'C... lower temps they will breed, but slightly slower...

Although if you have been keeping them at that low a temp, i would only raise it slowly and gradually over an extended period of time...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The 16'C-18'C temps was more for when they were first imported, now a days they seem to tolerate higher temps, same way they can deal with higher levels of TDS compared to say 10-15 years ago...

For them to breed fastest, i keep my CRS tank at a stable temp of between 24'C - 25'C... lower temps they will breed, but slightly slower...

Although if you have been keeping them at that low a temp, i would only raise it slowly and gradually over an extended period of time...
I've got another 4 gal (16 litres) to play with, tempted to get some crystal blacks for it and try to breed them; or move the sakura across...easiest solution would be for me to order a 40 litre plus tank, but trying to avoid doing it just now, as any tank I have just now will be temporary

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i will be keeping an eye out for if you start another tank...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ DO IT!!! And have tanks with different species breeding for sale...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store