Just a thought before you purchase a silver arowana...

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
Thanks for continuing,interesting reading.What are your thoughts on drop eye?
Helps him catch convicts...not very well though.

I was at the Baltimore national aquarium a few weeks back and made it a point to ask the guy in a lab coat I ran into on the elevator coming out of one of the employee only sides of the elevator why there 4' silver Arowana had drop eye there jardini had hill curl and before I could remark on the red tail cat that was feeding on one of there Amazon exhibit turtles he was out the door never to be seen again....

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
And to all the doubters Amazon swords grown on drift don't seem to get to full size but they do replicate. This one has been in here for about a year and the cichlids do a good job of aquascaping and trimming this guy. They destroyed all the anubias Java fern and ate the moss but even they have respect for a Amazon sword that will grow in drift wood.....zip ties seem to help too

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: moe214

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
They breed like crazy if u drop the pH and give them drift wood. They stop when it gets over 7.

They dance and show breeding colors leading up to a spawn pretty interesting to watch.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Raising many aros over the years and I have had a few go from eggsack to 24" in a year or less. One was about 8 months as I recall.

Proper conditions and food will bring you proper growths.

Many fish at zoos are actually donated. So there is a good chance those fish with issues had them before the zoo got them.

I have fed my aros until the were full and didn't eat agressivly what was offered when it was offered. If they looked at it and passed then I stopped. When small it was daily, the larger they got the more time they got between meals. Never more then 3-4 days off. Every week at all sizes they got a min one day off.

Best to read the sticky and follow those guidelines as trying to say it will take 6 months to get out of the fragile stage is a false statement. I have had aros so small they couldn't swim with the eggsack being so large all they could do is rest on the bottom. They still were black and yellow in color. Yet still were out of the fragile stage in just a month or 2.

Reactions: arowanaman85

arowanaman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Vandergrift, PA
jeez, i bow to your superior Arowana husbandry, and your great skill at creating unsubstantiated growth, in periods of time that go against common beliefs with no evidence to back them.

Thank you sir

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store