K1 media in socks?

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
What do you mean by air bubbles escaping? I am guessing it is Schedule 40 pvc. That is the most common and it is safe for drinking water, so it is safe for fish. It does not contain any toxins.
If the overflow PVC is submerged in the sump water, the fall from water will trap air/bubbles which will escape and still make some noise still.

You should give me your leftover k1 after you remove it and call it a day. :)
lol, i might give it for free TBH, better c it get use than back in storage

The bacteria on the K1 won't be killed, why do you say that? If the K1 is moved over to new socks it won't dry out. I see nothing wrong with this plan.
yeah, I would just switched the K1 in the new socks.

I was going to suggest this! that's what I do, I don't use socks but I have plastic crates/buckets under my sump drains and put ac110 sponges under the water to dampen the sound.
yeah doing this.

Adding k1 to the socks is better than not using it.
thank you

Nice. If I may ask, what is holding your filter socks in place. How many gallons do you run through them in an hour?
$5 in PVC, I didnt even cement. Im flowing 2900 GPH. Two PVC, so 1450 GPH in each 2" PVC overflow.

Seems like K1 in the sock will b good bio media, I rather dampen the sound. So removing the K` n putting AC 110 sponge in the socks. NOW, what to do with the K1? Back in storage or put them in 2L bottles?

13271519_561502147384081_1659054546_o.jpg

13282474_561502177384078_1591959837_o.jpg

13288018_561502174050745_1557824732_o.jpg

Reactions: McPhish and ATF

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If the overflow PVC is submerged in the sump water, the fall from water will trap air/bubbles which will escape and still make some noise still.

yeah doing this.

thank you

$5 in PVC, I didnt even cement. Im flowing 2900 GPH. Two PVC, so 1450 GPH in each 2" PVC overflow.

Seems like K1 in the sock will b good bio media, I rather dampen the sound. So removing the K` n putting AC 110 sponge in the socks. NOW, what to do with the K1? Back in storage or put them in 2L bottles?

View attachment 1184610

View attachment 1184611

View attachment 1184612
ya I don't cement anything that's physically inside the sump. my drain lines are cemented up to the ball valve on the line, after that I have everything hand fitted together for maintenance and any changes I'll want to make down the line. My drain is connected with a fernco fitting too so I can easily pop the whole assembly right off the tank no fuss no muss.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
The bacteria on the K1 won't be killed, why do you say that? If the K1 is moved over to new socks it won't dry out. I see nothing wrong with this plan.
The k1 has little ridges meant to be surface area for biofilm to grow on. The K1 will trap debris and the k1 will have to be rinsed off to remove the debris that it has collected. That will kill the bacteria. Sure you can move the K1 without cleaning it, but you will be doing more harm than you will be doing good. The dead organic compounds that the K1 has collected will break down and cause a spike in ammonia.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City

yeah doing this.

thank you

View attachment 1184610

View attachment 1184611

View attachment 1184612
If it is less noise, that will still be better than full noise. Just make sure you clean out/change the aquaclear sponges often. You do not want to keep dead organic compounds in your system long enough for them to break down and cause an ammonia spike. Polyester batting might work better than aquaclear foam. I use it for the prefilter pad in my koi pond. It works great and catches a lot of dead organic compounds and it is cheap so i can change it often.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
The k1 has little ridges meant to be surface area for biofilm to grow on. The K1 will trap debris and the k1 will have to be rinsed off to remove the debris that it has collected. That will kill the bacteria. Sure you can move the K1 without cleaning it, but you will be doing more harm than you will be doing good. The dead organic compounds that the K1 has collected will break down and cause a spike in ammonia.
like I said the water falling was doing a good job of boiling the K1. You do understand that K1 will moving and bouncing off each other is actually self cleaning, hence why you never need to rinse/clean the K1.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
like I said the water falling was doing a good job of boiling the K1. You do understand that K1 will moving and bouncing off each other is actually self cleaning, hence why you never need to rinse/clean the K1.
the biofilm does not get knocked off of the k1. Neither does fine debris. Also, k1 was meant for biological filtration, not mechanical. Even if the k1 does not collect debris, what is the point of having it as mechanical filtration. K1 is used in backflushable bead filters. So much debris comes off when it is backflushed. K1 collects debris.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
the biofilm does not get knocked off of the k1. Neither does fine debris. Also, k1 was meant for biological filtration, not mechanical. Even if the k1 does not collect debris, what is the point of having it as mechanical filtration. K1 is used in backflushable bead filters. So much debris comes off when it is backflushed. K1 collects debris.
yeah like I said I had some K1 laying around. By throwing it in the socks, it would be used as extra bio-media. And if I had decided to continue that route, during water changes just dump the k1 into the new socks. It rly doesnt matter if K1 collets debris, cuz the socks r there to catch the extra debri that falls off. If the debris breakdown, thats okay because I have enough media/bacteria to convert that ammonia into nitrite, then to nitrate, then water changes takes care of the rest...

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
yeah like I said I had some K1 laying around. By throwing it in the socks, it would be used as extra bio-media. And if I had decided to continue that route, during water changes just dump the k1 into the new socks. It rly doesnt matter if K1 collets debris, cuz the socks r there to catch the extra debri that falls off. If the debris breakdown, thats okay because I have enough media/bacteria to convert that ammonia into nitrite, then to nitrate, then water changes takes care of the rest...
You said previously that you want the bacteria to concentrate on your ceramic rin. Your filtration is more efficient if you have all of the bacteria in one place. I think that you should change the k1 out with polyester batting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store