Kagami African Pompano

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
divemaster99 divemaster99
They catch them(moonfish or opah) at depth on occasion but require somewhat specialized tackle to target and I never heard of them near shore.I've heard of guys snagging sunfish(mola mola) on the troll. I have seen a friend catch a juvie sunfish off high cliffs from shore but that is really unusual and the depth around the cliff was around 80ft and drops off quickly beyond that.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yeah, you don't see the big uluas taken shorecasting as much as in the past but we still catch them bottom fishing at depth fairly regularly but my biggest fish taken shorecasting were back in high school. To be honest I don't fish for the big ulua too much now a days, once they are +60lbs they are usually hot(infected with ciguatera)@xraycer
ciguatera.....now there's a word I haven't heard in over 25 years. What can you tell us about it? I've mentioned it at certain seafood restaurants that tried serving undercooked food and they looked at me like I was an ALIEN.

Many people are not familiar with this term, commonly referred to as "Fish Poisoning".......but you seem to know what it is and maybe how to identify it

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I believe its caused by a toxic dinoflagellate that is ingested by small fish and builds up in the top predators. It cant be removed by cooking either. There are test kits available. As a kid people would feed it to their cat and if the cat refuses to eat, you knew it was hot; some how they can smell toxin.

There are parts of the island known to have high rates of cig or recent out break. Can check Hawaii Fishing News for the most recent reports.
Frank Castle Frank Castle

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Castle

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
The size would be about right; might be a nice addition but a hard one to ship. heehee

kendragon kendragon

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I believe its caused by a toxic dinoflagellate that is ingested by small fish and builds up in the top predators. It cant be removed by cooking either. There are test kits available. As a kid people would feed it to their cat and if the cat refuses to eat, you knew it was hot; some how they can smell toxin.

There are parts of the island known to have high rates of cig or recent out break. Can check Hawaii Fishing News for the most recent reports.
Frank Castle Frank Castle
I ask you because it was a concern while visiting Florida yearly as a child from early 80's to present, and I remember large species of Grouper or Snapper were prime suspects for it - also Parrotfish and Barracuda . This is were I 1st learned of it around 1986 or so, and because of the fish that have it, many of us think it comes from the coral, since these fish all eat fish that eat coral. it is generally not found in smaller individuals or nonpiscivorous fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store