Kaldness feedback

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
I am using a kaldness fluidized bed filter on my ray system and have started to notice the media is breaking apart. Not such a big deal but it's now clogging my return pump and the smaller pieces are being pumped into the tank.
Has anyone else noticed this ?

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
The media is a little over 5 years old now

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I know nothing about K1 -- well a little from what I've read. I just stopped in to ask YOU questions. :)

I know K1 is more "high volume" bio-filtration. I understand people with Ray tanks like it for ammonia spikes that happen after feeding Rays.

could you run pond matrix in laundry bags in a sump with Rays? would that be adequate you think? That's what I run, I'm considering some Rays, wondering if I have enough bio-filtration.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have 12 Liters pond matrix in a 125 gallon sump.

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
I use a media similar to K1 from Allied Aqua that is much cheaper and actually has more surface area. Nothing coming apart yet. It's my understanding that K1 is made in China now.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
My K1 is 3 years old and I'm not seeing this problem. Yet?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Should've went with old school bio balls.. 10 years plus I still have them. I'm
Just playing around I'm curious as to why they're breaking apart. I know they're made out of plastic but surely heat would be the only factor I can think of warping it or changing its structure and break off

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Should've went with old school bio balls.. 10 years plus I still have them. I'm
Just playing around I'm curious as to why they're breaking apart. I know they're made out of plastic but surely heat would be the only factor I can think of warping it or changing its structure and break off
Bio ballshave very low surface area. Pot scrubbers have much more surface.

Reactions: B_IN_SD

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Bio ballshave very low surface area. Pot scrubbers have much more surface.
Yeah I use both in my sumps. K1 kaldness is new to me and never used it myself. I heard great things about it using it sumps and barrels. Its just not worth it for my application. The noise itself would make me not want to get it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store