Keeping cichlids in college?

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
I'm heading off to college in a few years and I have a flowerhorn and carpintis who aren't even 1 so they will be around by then. My father was able to keep a 55 gal in his dorm but I'm not sue if you are able to nowadays. Anyone know if I could keep a 55 in a dorm? I could leave the flowerhorn here and bring the carpintis.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i live off campus but I know that common dorm housing here allows no pets. Family housing does but not typical student housing.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
When I was at osu I had a 55 set up and a ferret in the dorm. The RA and I got along so it wasn't ever an issue.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
.....and if your college happens to allow a tank in your dorm you could come in one day to find your beloved cichlids munching on a slice of pizza that someone tossed in.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
That's something you'll have to talk to your campus housing office about. My campus only allows aquariums 30 gallons and under in dorms.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
I live in a dorm (as faculty staff) where students can have aquariums and other aquatic pets (turtles) even though they have a "no pets" rule -- they only mean mammals. Check with the student housing office for the official policy on fish tanks.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
.....and if your college happens to allow a tank in your dorm you could come in one day to find your beloved cichlids munching on a slice of pizza that someone tossed in.
So freaking true!
I never had issues like that. I actually got my roommate interested in the hobby, and he even went out and bought a complete 20 gallon setup, though he never did get any fish for it, for whatever reason.

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Or you might find that somebody gave the fish some alcohol after a party or something...

I specifically asked my university, and they explicitly said no pets (including aquaria). I think it varies depending on which college you head to.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
The college I went to only allowed up to 10 gallons in the dorms as a lot of PA state colleges do. Your best bet is living off campus and finding a landlord that will allow a tank. My girlfriends off campus apartment was only allowed to have a 20 gallon since a previous tenant housed an oscar in a 55 gallon with slate rocks standing up in the tank. One night the oscar knocked the slate over broke the tank flooded the apartment and storefront below. Just check to make sure whats allowed where ever you end up living.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store