Kissing gourami full size?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hey guys. After a lot of reading on kissing gourami (might get one december or around then)
What is the max size of these fish? Some say 6" some say 12" and some as low as 3" I have seen pics of large ones.

Is it purely dependant on proper feeding (algae and herbivore based?) And clean water or are some sites misinformed?

Reactions: GamerChick5567

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Would a 48x18 footprint work or should i look into other fish? I have heard they are brimming with personality
I think a 12" fish is too big for a 48x18 tank. Especially something like a kissing gourami. They're bulky fish.

Reactions: Hendre

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Subbed, pics jay!-)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I am looking for a larger outgoing fish for when i redo my tank in the next 6-8 months or maybe later. Kissing gourami came to mind since they are pretty interesting and have been said to have quite the personality.

they can also be put in with red tail black sharks which i REALLY want one of.

this is a wild one, they do get pretty big

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
How long did it take to get that big? The biggest ones I've seen in person were around 6". And I've seen a few that size but never around 12".
Don't know- found him this size in a LFS as a trade in stuck in a 20 long... so i took him home... will try to get picks

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I am looking for a larger outgoing fish for when i redo my tank in the next 6-8 months or maybe later. Kissing gourami came to mind since they are pretty interesting and have been said to have quite the personality.

they can also be put in with red tail black sharks which i REALLY want one of.

/QUOTE]

What's the fascination with RTB sharks? They do look real nice but that's about it for positives.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
What's the fascination with RTB sharks? They do look real nice but that's about it for positives.
Nah, they re great to get shy fish to be active, excellent clean-up crew, and eat algae too and will school with other catfish and cyprnids......I have a tank w/ groups of shoaling or schooling fish and I purchased the recommended about for each group, but not all survived, so a lot of random other fish seem to fill in the gaps and act as school-mates and band together w/ the groups that are missing their 3rd or 6th members - ARS, RTS and similarly behaving species like Shark-catfish all seem to complement each other in a community.

I'll get some pix.....I just need to get a buddy or 2 to hold a few extra lights on the tank for me cuz my lighting is weird and my shot never turn out good. RTS are cool man, they can also live with big aggressive fish if it's done right

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store