koloton and endli volta questions

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Endli (WHITE VOLTA, BLACK VOLTA, MILO, GUINEA, FARAHNA, NIGERIAN, ETC.) are ALL collection points. It describes where the endli was collected. NO ONE can tell for sure where an endli came from just by looking at its pattern/headshape. IN GENERAL, there will be recurring characteristics between one collection point to another (ie size of head, patterns), but again there is no way of telling unless the supplier tells you the collection point. You can have 10 endlis from the same collection point, and all 10 look different from one another.

In lower jaws there are two general COMPLEXES in bichirs, the ENDLI COMPLEX & the LAP COMPLEX. For example under the endli complex you have endlis & sp. Dabolas....etc. Whether sp. Dabola is a wild hybrid or its own species, the head looks like an endli.

Under the lap complex, you have laps & sp. Koliba & sp. Koloton...etc. Again with sp. Koliba & sp. Koloton, their headshapes are that of a lap. There is debate over whether sp. Koliba & sp. Koloton are the same species OR are just collection point variants. Either way, they belong to the lap complex.

Comparing any bichir between endli complex & lap complex are comparing apples with oranges. It comes down to personal preference. They are different species and their headshape appearance is correlated to their corresponding complexes.

Red Garnet sand IS THE BEST substrate for color & patterns in lower jaws. There is none better. You can experiment, BUT again, red garnet is the best to use. Anything else has the potential to wash out your bichirs.

Best of luck!!

Reactions: DMD123

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks for the info guys really do appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

Im leanimg towards the koloton thanx

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Not the exact fish but this was the Koliba I had on the lighter CaribSea Peace River sand
A little bit after it first came in:

A bit after he settled in:

His color improved a little but i think a darker sand would have helped a lot!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So the guy selling the red flint stuff said that its a redish/brown/light brown mix really natural looking. Its half the price of the garnet sand.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
J jaws7777 I can get you red Estes Ceramaquartz that I like better than garnet in NJ.

As far as discussion, I'm with Frank on this. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to get specific locales and whatnot, as its a crap shoot at best. Just buy what you see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store