Largemouth bass @ Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I can't say I've ever experienced such greed as with these LMB. Maybe only rivaled by soldier catfish. No feeding in this video though, just entropy:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Terrific fish, one of my favourites from long ago; I was excited to see the thread title. These guys may have been stressed during and immediately after shipment, but they certainly looked like they had been healthy and feeding well before that. I watched the first video and thought "He is going to love these fish!"

Then I watched the second one and thought "Yep! Bounced back as expected". :)

These guys can be as moody as Oscars, and they are aggressive feeders but not generally aggressive otherwise to fish too large to swallow. Fish in the in-between size range definitely present a choking hazard to Largemouths as they are very much an eat-first-think-later kind of predator. Very easy to switch over to dead foods, DIY gels, pellets, etc.

They're actually pussycats, in terms of aggression, compared to other smaller members of the sunfish group to which they belong. They're always on display, always on the alert, very interactive; I've never personally kept Peacock Bass, but in the videos I've watched the Peacocks remind me very much of the real bass, i.e. Largemouths and Smallmouths...except of course the real ones are much cooler! 😎

Your videos brought me to the realization that, while Smallmouth are common in the wild locally and thus verboten to me...Largemouth are technically not native to my province of Manitoba...which suggests that I may be able to keep them legally...as long as they aren't on the extensive list of banned-by-name species. Gotta look into that.

Looking forward to more on these new additions! :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The LMBs left the pbass and arowana tank mates half fed, hence moved to a highly competitive tank next door:

• Love
Reactions: jjohnwm

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
LMB grew from 4" to 10" in the 3 months here, that's 2" per month. They have earned the top spot on the list of the greediest fish we ever have had:

• Love
Reactions: Chub_by and jjohnwm

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
LMB grew from 4" to 10" in the 3 months here, that's 2" per month. They have earned the top spot on the list of the greediest fish we ever have had:

Ha, good to know that even with the long list of species you've kept you make the same observation.. their greed is nothing short of ridiculous! When I had some they would eat thawed fish until they were unable to swallow more and one's tail would hang out their mouths.. which of course didn't stop them from trying to eat even more. :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Prior feeding of the 1800gal, I had fed 3x the amount trying to get the chinese wels catfish to fill up, he wouldn't budge. Four days later and several hours before the next feeding, he ate the sick LMB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store