led flood lights on planted tank

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Well I use T5HO fixtures on my planted tanks which has multiple timing schedule, but here's my basic lighting schedule, and dosing schedule. My lighting turns on at 8am, and shuts off at 4pm. Automated co2 should turn on at least 30 mins to 1 hour before the lights come on, and shut off 1 hour before the lights shut off; What this does is saturate the water with enough co2 that when the lights turn on the plants have co2 available immediately, and by shutting off the co2 1 hour before the lights shut off leaves enough co2 for the plants to finish off before the lights shut off.

My fertilizer schedule is based on classic EI dosing regime.

Mon-Weds-Fri - Macro NPK
Tues-Thurs-Sat - Micro CSM+B
Sun - 50% water change

Now I use dry fertilizers because it's cheaper, and you get more for your money... Which is why I'm able to dose macros separately from micros. Because if you mix macro & micro fertilizers together Iron (Fe) and Mono-Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) have a known reaction that when they mix they basically render each other useless. Which is why if you buy a macro/micro pre-mix it won't have any phosphate in it.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Very nice are they all led flood lights on your tanks?
yes mate they are outdoor flood lights

specs
10W Flood Light Cool White SMD LED Outdoor Security Light

i just got a group of 8 from ebay for about £25 about $40 used 2 to replace a tube and they seem alot cheaper to run.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Just picked up a co2 system this weekend.
3lbs paintball bottle
Dual gage regulator with solinoid
Drip counter
Line
4 defuser
Co2 in tank tester

As well as all trimming tools, root tabs, chemicals, all I need now is to buy more plants and make the light fixture

Reactions: Glossolepis incisus

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
honestly light is probably the most important thing in a planted aquarium. You can grow a plant just floating in the water column but try to grow a plant in darkness (won't happen). Those led flood lights are bright, we used to use them to light up our hockey rink at night. For an 18" tank put it a few inches above the tank (4-6"), build a canopy around it as well. this way you will get a nice spread and high intensity. The CO2 was not needed but now that you do have it there is no negatives to it. Just run CO2 and the lights, there is no need to dose ferts. The only dosing I did on planted tanks with high light plants was throwing in 1-2 cap fulls of flourish a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store