Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Leeches in Pond

Discussion in 'Outdoor Ponds' started by Jesto, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Jesto

Jesto MFK Members

Aug 21, 2014
      Has anybody experienced leeches in their pond? How were you able to get rid of them? Thanks :)

2. DanDanUK

DanDanUK MFK Members

Jan 3, 2011
      Try and add salt !

I'm not too sure like but salt seems to be the best line of defence against most problems!

3. guppy

guppy Small Squiggly Thing

May 11, 2008
      I had them show up in a small diano breeding pond, they were around three quarter inches long, I put a 6" wide band of table salt around it and treated the water as for ick, the leeches crawled out and shriveled up on the salt border, it also stopped slugs from getting to my water hyacinth. Some leeches are more salt tolerant than others and some fish are sensitive to it. There are a couple products available to kill the leeches but they kill all the inverts so I have never used them. What kind of fish and pond do you keep?

4. Jesto

Jesto MFK Members

Aug 21, 2014
      Thanks guys. I wll try salt. The pond has plants though!

It is a growout pond for my Plecos which has a RTG and a Rainbow shark.

Guppy, what meds are anti leeches?

5. guppy

May 11, 2008
      The meds for pond treatment of leeches are mainly malathion which is an organophosphate long term poison and very dangerous (I strongly Recomend you do NOT use this), potassium permanganate solution, and 2 commercial products that I see recomended but have never used, Ludex anti-leech, and Anchors Away, I don't really know anything about them.
      Potassium permanganate is the old anti-fluke standby and is sold in pharmacies, some garden shops,, and lfs. I takes four days to treat your pond. A lot of koi supply houses carry it. the way you use it reguires that you accurately measure how much water you have and it is better to under dose than overdose or it can burn the gills of you fish. At treatment doses it will kill all your inverts but you will no longer have fish lice, flukes, or leeches. I did a quick check and you can get a 1 pound jar for $14.50 at www.fancykoiqutlet.com which will last a long time.
      To use you turn off your filter and add one level TEASPOON of granules per 1000 gallons of water to your pond, dissolve it in a bucket with some water first, then stir it around, your pond will turn blue or purple then over the next couple hours turn amber or brown, once it does add 1 pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the pond. Stir it around and wait 3-4 hours then turn the pumps back on.
      Repeat this everyday for four to five days, each day it will take longer for the blue to go away. Make sure you neutralize the potassium permanganate each day. after the last treatment do a 30-50% water change.
      I helped do this with a couple koi ponds back in the mid 80's for flukes and planaria. the koi were fine.

6. Jesto

Jesto MFK Members

Aug 21, 2014
      Nice info guppy. Thanks. I have tried salt first. If it does not work, I will use potassium permanganate

7. guppy

May 11, 2008
      On adding the hydrogen peroxide to neutralize the P.permanganate it should read 1 pint per 1000 gallons.

8. Jesto

Jesto MFK Members

Aug 21, 2014
      ok thanks :)

9. guppy

May 11, 2008
      So, how are the leeches?

10. Jesto

Jesto MFK Members

Aug 21, 2014
      0.3% salt solution did not help. :(