leopard ctenopoma

I have found that mine appreciates cover and when he has it he's out and about more. I think they are ambush predators naturally which would explain the hiding- lying in wait for the next tasty morsel

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Makes sense!

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
They are ambush predators and will eat smaller fish. They have huge mouths so be warned. Mine are not aggressive at all I have two in a 80g. They are around 5" 6" and are out a lot although it took a long time for them to get used to me.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I picked out the best looking and biggest Ctenopoma that they had at PetSmart...all one and a half inches of him lol.I went back a few days later to pick up another one but the remaining fish were very small and looked sickly now so I passed on them.My little one is putting on size nicely with its well rounded diet.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Ive noticed that too. Apart from the big returned ones of course. Most of the small young ones I see look really emaciated and starved. mine seemed to quickly put on weight tho. And luckily took to most foods quite quickly. Interesting problem I had with mine, every so often (not in a while touch wood) he would extend his jaw/mouth and not be able to close it properly again. Id have to net him out and pop it back in for him.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I chalked the condition of the others to the less than top notch care given by the PetSmart staff lol.They probably don't do very many water changes and probably don't feed the fish often...Oh well,in any case I was glad to be able to rescue one of them.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've seen that locked out mouth problem in some African cichlids...namely A.compressisceps.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Up to now its happened probably 5 times, but all in the 65 he used to be in. Hopefully I wont have to catch him in the 180!!! With the cichlids do you know if its something that sorts itself out? I have left mine for a day or more in the past just to see what happens and it didnt seem to right itself.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sometimes they did right themselves and others a co worker at the time would net the fish out and maneuver the jaws back in position with fingers...This was back when I used to work in a pet store.

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
Wow that's good to know, I would probably not think to try to pop it back in myself fearing of more damage. I see mine yawn like my bichir and wolf fish do, which probably helps to prevent that. Anyone know how long it takes for them to get a good size?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah same here.I wouldn't dare try to re set a fish's jaw but he seemed to have it down.....No clue on growth rate but Ive noticed a little difference in size in the month that I have had my cteno.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store