Lepomis news

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Some news in the lepomis world, I may be a little late but I thought I'd share it with you guys. Found a paper detailing some genetic work done on the centrarchid family, so I thought I'd share the findings about everyone's favorite, sunfish. I've made a quick diagram explaining the currently understood relations between lepomis species, but I've included the updated data found in the recent L. megalotis split (as the paper detailing the relations across the entire family did not include the new longear species), as well as my interpretation of the three bluegill lineages, which as far as I know are not backed up by genetics yet but I'm sure they will be.
1688182498212.png
I also made my own diagram prior to finding this one, just based on what I thought the relations would be based on morphology alone, and I was pretty close, as I got the general idea of what was close to what, but didn't get the exact placements right. I also got humilis and auritus completely wrong. The last thing I would've expected was for the sister species of bluegill to be orangespots.

Reactions: Matth05 and Chub_by

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
Some news in the lepomis world, I may be a little late but I thought I'd share it with you guys. Found a paper detailing some genetic work done on the centrarchid family, so I thought I'd share the findings about everyone's favorite, sunfish. I've made a quick diagram explaining the currently understood relations between lepomis species, but I've included the updated data found in the recent L. megalotis split (as the paper detailing the relations across the entire family did not include the new longear species), as well as my interpretation of the three bluegill lineages, which as far as I know are not backed up by genetics yet but I'm sure they will be.
View attachment 1521518
I also made my own diagram prior to finding this one, just based on what I thought the relations would be based on morphology alone, and I was pretty close, as I got the general idea of what was close to what, but didn't get the exact placements right. I also got humilis and auritus completely wrong. The last thing I would've expected was for the sister species of bluegill to be orangespots.
Could you please say this in Layman’s terms, I lack the intelligence to read and comprehend this

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Yes but what is in the sunfish family tree that ur talking about I googled lepomis and it says sunfish or am I being dumb
The chart I posted
That is the family tree of the genus lepomis
The names are sunfish species
Symmetricus = bantam sunfish
Cyanellus= green sunfish
Gulosus = warmouth
Humilis = orangespotted sunfish
Macrochirus macrochirus = normal bluegill
M. Purpurascens = coppernose bluegill from the carolinas
M. Mysticalis = coppernose bluegill from florida
Marginatus = dollar sunfish
Aquilensis = plains longear sunfish