Lesions on head of lungfish

Dapper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2012
United States
Hello,

I have a West African lungfish, and I'm concerned about these lesions on her head. It looks like the skin is splitting over the sides of her head. Any ideas what might be going on? I don't see her every day, since she hides, so I couldn't tell you exactly how long they've been there except less than a week maybe? Diet is Hikari carnisticks & massivore + guppy colony for snacks. 75 gallon tank with 2 Eheim classic 600 canister filters. Most recent water test was Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=10, pH 7.4 (stable). I use seachem prime, stability, equilibrium, and occasionally flourish for the plants. I am aware she will need a larger tank soon--I have a 100gal waiting in the garage.

I can't post pictures since I haven't posted enough, so here is a link. Just take the line breaks out.

https://
goo.gl/
photos/
Eijom9wEmxnVr9nW6

Dapper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2012
United States
is it symmetrical or only one side?
It is on both sides but not in a symmetrical pattern. One side is more affected than the other. The lesions are long and narrow like a split seam. Pictures would be extremely useful in this case but I can't post them without spamming other threads to get my post count up.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Well if it's anything like "hole in the head" disease in cichlids then you are likely observing an internal Spironucleus (often referred to as hexamita) infection. Treat for flagellates.

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
Every time I have had issues with my WAL I just turned up the heat a little bit and did a bunch of water changes with salt. it always worked no matter what the problem was. Got sick and lost like 3 inches of its tail. Did what I said and got better and grew it back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store