Lighting and substrate

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I'm going to be planting my 260 (7x2.5x2) tank and am looking for a bit of help. I won't be injecting co2, lighting will be four 54w t5ho bulbs with reflectors, will this be enough lighting for plants with low to moderate lighting needs? And any suggestions on a substrate that won't cost a fortune on a tank this size? Is it best to cap substrate with sand? Thanks in advance.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
If you're looking for easy low light plants, Anubias and Java Ferns are always a good starter. Their rhizomes should not be buried since that's where they absorb most of their nutrients. Swords are also pretty easy and this is where substrate will matter since they are root feeders. If you're planning on capping it with sand and want something cheap, dirt the tank. Organic Potting Soil is what you want to use. Sift through it to remove large piece of wood chips and other debris. I'd layer about a half inch to an inch and cap another 2 inches.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Everything really depends on the needs of the plants you want. I've had swords, crypts, and green tiger lotus thrive in playsand under t5ho lighting, 2 x 24" lamps on a 36 so I'd imagine your lighting will be equivocal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store