Lighting question

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
For live rock and eventually corals can I use a normal t8 bulb during the day and actinic at night? Or can I leave actinic on during the day and just shut it off at night? My fixture has room for one bulb at a time so I'll be switching them in and out. Thanks!

passon13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
florida
Thank you for the reply! And if I get anemone and coral they will be ok? Right now all I have is a pair of pink skunk clowns

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Changing the bulb twice a day is going to get annoying very fast. You should be fine with 1 t8 bulb if you want to grow some mushrooms, leathers and other soft coral. Your corals will look brown with a normal day light bulb. You can test them out see how each looks and then make a decision.

If you want to stick with just one bulb, get a new bulb. Something like a 50/50, blue+ or whatever color bulb you want. You can also pick up a second fixture pretty cheap. Look on Craigslist or go to Home Depot and use a shop light.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I agree here, also Actinics are used to enhance the colours seen in the corals. often they are also used to simulate dusk and dawn when used with halides. I would do a double light personally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store