Lights on or off?

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
Did you guys leave your lights on or off? If so how long do you keep them off/on for? For some reason I feel my fish are calmer when the lights are off(my tank is in the garage) but when the lights are on the always swimming like if I'm about to feed. What do you do?

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
I have plants in my tank so the lights need to be on for them to grow, but as for the fish I find it is best to watch them in low light as they are most active then.
But I have trained my polypterus to come out when I feed in the light though.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I often don't have a set time that I turn my lights on or off. (I've been "getting" a timer for a few months now, but haven't actually gotten one yet). I usually just turn them on when I get up and off when I go to bed. Not sure why but also once the lights go out (I have my grow outs in my room) I myself become tired within almost minutes. Regardless of the time I turn them off I usually will soon follow them and go to sleep.

swrdply400mrelay

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
Texas
I use a timer to turn on at 4pm and off at 10pm.

I only use one T8 bulb.

I have always fed with the lights on. Before I feed I turn off my filters so they know food is coming. Personally I like to watch my fish feed so I do it with lights on, and they've gotten used to the lights.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
I only have lights in two tanks because they are planted, the rest are naturally lit, i once read that lights are for our benefit and the fish dont need them but plants do.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I set my white light (LED) auto on at 11am and off at 8PM I need the light cause I have live plants and Blue light (moon light) auto on at 8PM and I usually turn it off in the at midnight or morning before I go to work.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I use timers on 4 of my aquariums and I don't use full strips, this provides resting areas for the fish that dislike light. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store