Lince Catfish???

Kingrancher2011

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
O-H-I-O
So what's so great about the Lince catfish? Everyone wants one I don't get it are they great with Rays or other fish or do they just cruse the tank?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Shark like cat with constant movement. Very cool cat that some keep with rays. I'd personally be a bit worried they may overwhelm the rays.

Reactions: Kingrancher2011

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Let me be as clear and scientific as I can be: they are breathtaking!

It's in the eye of a beholder. Catfish nuts want them. People who are not into catfish, don't even know what they are.

They are very active all the time, which is a huge plus,
very pretty and graceful - another huge plus,
quirky - plus,
very rare - plus,

very pricey - minus,
need a lot of swimming room - minus,
need their kin - minus,
transport poorly - huge minus.

They appear to be good with rays indeed. In Vince's hands, his lince does not play nice with a VATF.

... All of this coming from a guy who's never kept one.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Lince cats are one of the most sought after fish in the trade in my experience. They handle transport really poorly and so it reflects their price. This is one of the only fish that is out right more expensive than a high grade red arowana, rivaling close to some select platinum fish. Personally, i want one but not before some certain other collectibles. The nonstop swimming characteristic on the bottom level is awesome though.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Kingrancher2011

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
O-H-I-O
Well seems like a pretty cool catfish then. I love My Wels he is pretty active to but I'm sure the Lince is more active then the Wels.

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
So what's so great about the Lince catfish? Everyone wants one I don't get it are they great with Rays or other fish or do they just cruse the tank?
I'm pretty sure that if you've seen one in person in a large tank you'd get it. As mentioned beauty is in the eye of the beholder, personally I don't get the whole datnoid thing. But that's just me, to each his own.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Lince cats are one of the most sought after fish in the trade in my experience. They handle transport really poorly and so it reflects their price. This is one of the only fish that is out right more expensive than a high grade red arowana, rivaling close to some select platinum fish. Personally, i want one but not before some certain other collectibles. The nonstop swimming characteristic on the bottom level is awesome though.
That's actually not true. The fish themselves aren't terribly expensive. Once you factor in the near triple digit weight freight bill and high mortality rate, well that explains the high price tag. Last Lince I saw brought in came in a 3x2x2' wooden crate nearly filled to the top with water.

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
That's exactly what I meant, the landed cost is high due to the transport difficulty and mortality rate. the actual fish if landed without those problems would be a quarter of the said price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store