Live aquatic plants

Frank_Pizz10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
I am looking to buy plants on line. I am looking for hardy plants to put in my 55 gallon. I would like to buy a lot. I am on a budget and was hoping you guys can recommend any good sites to buy live aquatic plants fairly cheap.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I honestly say dont do it lol, unless you have some small fish. All my fish reject the planted tank idea and I've spent a decent amount on plants. They uproot them and tear them to shreds making a huge mess. But if I were you I would look on craigslist. There are usually a decent amount of people who have ponds and what not that will practically give you their overgrown plants. Or you could get a couple starters and just leave them outside if your location stays farily warm

Always wanted to try this in the summer and see how much of a profit a couple plants can bring through out the summer.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
There are plenty of fishes that work well with plants and plenty of species just born to destroy any plants, so do some research or post your fish stock list here and we will help you out. Plants are NOT cheap and in some cases it would cost 10x higher than the cost of your fishes total :p
**Also, buying plant online = shipping charge will kill you lol 99.99% you will need to use overnight or 2 days shipping option and that would add up the cost to the plants to the proof.

Frank_Pizz10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Trust me ive seen the costs lol sometimes shipping can be more then the plants o saw that video it seem cool i gave something like that a shot i got a view local plants and put them in a bucket with water and potting soil within 2 days they were all dead lol i didnt place them directly into the tank in fear of disease and other unppeasant things they coupdve infected my tank with. All i have in my tank right now are some snails otos and 2 danios. The onpy other fish im looking to get are guppies or minnows maybe some more danios. I dont think i should have a problem with uprooting. I have a bunch of plants in their like 20 but its a 55 gallon still looks bare. Im trying to make almost like a selfsustaining tank. Im running an hob top fin 75 with just some biomax. Im trying to hook up a fluval 205 but its leaking. My substrate is organic potting soil and sand. I think thats all the info i have lol. I check out craigslist.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If you want to do a ecosystem tank then load up with Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, Green/Red Foxtail, water lecture surface floating plant and Red/Green Tiger Lotus (Pothos is another option for semi aquatic that work extremely well to absorb nitrate), stay away with amazon sword cause its their leaf get melt easy and look ugly :p
*If you get your plants from local pond then most of the time it will die in aquarium then re-growth again with new adjustment to your aquarium environment.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
I have great luck from amazon.

substratesource is the seller.

Nearly all my plants are from them, quick delivery and robust plants.

Avoid summer shopping with live stuff, depending on your weather.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store