Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

live food vs. non-living food.

Discussion in 'Cichla (Peacock Bass)' started by jiNRo., Aug 30, 2008.

1. jiNRo.

jiNRo. MFK Members

Oct 21, 2012
      haha. that title is kinda wack, but what is better for pbass? live food or non living food? whats the difference? would there be a COLOR difference if i feed my pbass living food rather than died food?

is there?

2. benzjamin13

benzjamin13 Global Moderator
      Staff Member

Ben
      Today at 1:53 PM
      Either is fine. But of course, it's hard to get them off feeders, if you don't give a variety. I do believe that live will make them grow bigger and faster along with clean water, of course.

3. Rebel Souljah

Rebel Souljah MFK Members

Apr 28, 2015

non-living food = BORING
      living food = FUN :grinno:

living food = expensive
      non-living food = cheaper :D

Well from what i learned in a nutshell, it is healthier to give your fish a variety, and in feeding live fish you can run the risk of parasites and they are also very fatty. But for color everyone seems to say pellets...lol but that almost seems impossible at a young age. But yeah no one is gonna say not to give live food but to just think of it as a snack/treat. I save the live food for when people come over...lol:grinno: if you have trouble giving them frozen let me know, i can let you in a little secret of what worked for me. oh and yeah if you are going to continue feeding live, i suggest you look into breeding your own. gl

4. bOOsteN aUdI

bOOsteN aUdI MFK Members

Mar 8, 2015
      non live food is not boring.. its basically the same thing.. i would say non live food is healthier because you have pellets which has all the nutrients required. but live food and clean water does prob makes them grow faster

5. ctoychik

ctoychik MFK Members

May 17, 2013
      Live food will keep your water cleaner as long as it is not shredded but swallowed ... better color too imo

6. Venom SS

Venom SS MFK Members

Dec 4, 2013
      Heres the sneaky way to get pellet type food into your fish...buy a samll 10-20g tank, and go buy 4-5 dozen feeders. keep the feeders well fed on on high quality foods for several days. Plus if you buy that many, youll have several live feedings at hand. Then just before you feed them to your cichla, stuff your feeders with food. Its called gut loading. Its kinda like putting medicine inside a dog treat before giving it to your dog ;)

Be careful of feeding live food though. Dont "free feed" the young ones. By that I mean dont put 2 dozen feeders in there and let them eat at will. They will absolutely stuff themselves, and the very next day act like they are starving again. Thus you will feed them again most likely. In doing that you run a very high risk of getting a huge nitrate spike that your bio filters wont be able to keep up with, and youll have dead fish very quickly. Trust me, you dont want that. It really sucks. And this is what you will look like
      >>>:WHOA:

7. jiNRo.

jiNRo. MFK Members

Oct 21, 2012
      thanks guys..for all the info...
      this is what ive done..
      started to breed guppies got a few and started to loose interest..
      i usually buy 100 feeders for 6 bucks..i hand feed all of my fish..
      bought 3 more new ocell, but ONLY one of them eats shirmp and guppies....
      the older bass are btwn 3-3.5 in and the new ocell are 2-2.5 in...im going to have a lot to figure out. haha.

8. High City Rida

High City Rida C.R.E.A.M.

Jan 17, 2014
      I love to feed my P's fish I raised DISEASE FREE, Cons, Africans, Hybrids. I would like to say pellets are the best way, but my ultimate goal is large CICHLA not safe half sized cichla or all my efforts would have been in vain. I do believe that if your keeping cichla then you should put some sort of breeding feeders in place as well imo...

I currently have one CICHLA that eats pellets my biggest one as for the others they just sit around and watch so I say both ways work but just one or the others I believe has it's draw backs.

9. bOOsteN aUdI

bOOsteN aUdI MFK Members

Mar 8, 2015

yeaaa!!!!! boooo to this because mine are the same way and the fish on pellets tend to grow twice as fast!

10. jiNRo.

jiNRo. MFK Members

Oct 21, 2012
      yeah. my little ocell, that i just got like a month ago is starting to how is red on in its tail fin. im super excited but my tems are almost the same size but they're not showing any color yet.

Q: about what length should pb show any type od color?