long nose gar ?

jjollie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
usa
how long would a long nose gar live in a 7' long x 3' wide tank ? I will start out smaller this is the largest tank I have for when it gets some size to it

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Agree with the others... id say almost indefinetly... ive had many over the yrs, none ever excedded 24". Not saying they stay small or anything but there fairly slender for gar and slow growing ime. No reason one couldnt get and easy 3' in there no prob.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The world record long nose gar was 78.7 inches. The average wild size is 29.9 inches in Ontario so for captive fish I would expect that average size to be around their max. 7x3 is good for life more than likely.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
You have a source for that claim?
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/whos-got-the-largest-gar-here.554428/

The specific part from that discussion:

NA testing was not around then for such purposes and they do not really do it now either... and he is correct that the WORLD record Longnosed is highly suspected to be a Gator X Longnosed.

The largest verified longnosed gar caught was 65". I have never seen any data or records larger than that.

I can't play this game of who's is biggins.. I run a Public aquariumso my fish are of coarse much bigger than the average hobbyist can handle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store