Looking into getting a "Teacup" Stingray

fishrangler

Feeder Fish
Jun 25, 2015
I am looking for advice and opinions about teacup stingrays (Potamotrygon reticulata). I am the manager of a University Live Fish Collection. I have been researching teacup stingrays and have found very mixed opinions. I know they prefer a pH of around 6-7. And need excellent water quality. Water quality isn't an issue and pH shouldn't be either. But I have read about people saying that teacup rays are sensitive and often have trouble feeding them. What are your opinions as to if they are hardy/sensitive, and dietary flexibility? I want to make sure I do my homework before bringing an animal into a lab. Opinions and experiences are appreciated.

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
I am looking for advice and opinions about teacup stingrays (Potamotrygon reticulata). I am the manager of a University Live Fish Collection. I have been researching teacup stingrays and have found very mixed opinions. I know they prefer a pH of around 6-7. And need excellent water quality. Water quality isn't an issue and pH shouldn't be either. But I have read about people saying that teacup rays are sensitive and often have trouble feeding them. What are your opinions as to if they are hardy/sensitive, and dietary flexibility? I want to make sure I do my homework before bringing an animal into a lab. Opinions and experiences are appreciated.
I had a female for over a year and she did very well. Grew to about 8 inch disc. Was a very aggressive eater. Loved fresh tilapia.....but cut into very small pieces do to small mouth. Loved blood worms but I limited those and silversides were a loved food. Frozen krill every now and then. Mine was very hardy and I had no issues. The only thing I noticed was I sold my male Motoro Ray and she seemed to get depressed and didn't eat much during that time until I got another Ray. Very neat Ray and would recommend them to anyone that has time for them. Good luck!

Reactions: fishrangler
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store