Looking to do a 55 gallon drum with a sump set up for my 320

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
Been working on ideas for filtration for my 320, was going to go with a 55 gallon sump and an fx5 but I built my stand a little to short for comfort. My tank is against a wall to a spare room not in use so I decided to run the pipes through the wall into the spare room. This gives me the option to run a 55 gallon drum fluidized moving bed with K1. I would make something to support mechanical filtration before entering the K1. I was looking for a cheap sump I could plumb it into to keep about 100 goldfish, heaters and pump. I watched the video with the 375 fiberglass tub with the barrel in it and wanted to go along that route. I can't find any used fiberglass tanks around that size in my area so im looking for alternatives. I would like 100 gallon if the drum is not inside it. I will probably use this to filter my 125 as well, open to ideas and suggestions. will be running a drip system as well in both tanks

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
I was looking at Lowe's today they have a 46 gallon rubber maid heavy duty I was impressed with. Maybe I use that and plump into a 75 gallon tank I have and that can keep feeder fish and pump/heaters. Maybe some more media I can add some chambers

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
where did you guys find 3 for $60? I will be looking forward to his comments. Im ready to get started

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I suggest using r matala pads on the bottom. They're round and are made to fit perfectly inside 55 gallon drums. The 22 inch size is snug. They come in various levels of density.each 6 inches tall. They are Color coded. Works as great mechanical filtration and decent bio. I also suggest putting a knife valve on the bottom for easy maintenance and back flushing.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Check Craigslist for drums. Food supply_ processing places are always selling them and throwing them away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store