Looking to find some bichir to add to my bichir tank

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Teugelsi are actually now-a-days a lot more common in cheaper smaller sizes now that they are being readily bred in captivity. So I would just look around on some websites for some smaller teugelsi. As far as the Lake Turkana senegal goes, it is supposedly the closest we will get to the meridonalis. If you look on all different websites and try to find a description they all don't have a unanimous description other than they look similar to the senegalus senegalus and that they grow bigger. And getting a hold of a Lake Turkana bichir is extremely difficult. Since the area they are caught in is a dangerous area, it costs loads of money for security. So Thats why they aren't commonly exported/imported because they are harder to get to. However, There have been a few expeditions (I'm pretty sure mainly scientific) that led to bringing some Turkana PBB back to Japan. There a couple were sold and a couple were bred for offspring to sell. However what seems to have happened is during the breeding process The Turkana PBB were bred with Chad PBB. So For today I want to say theres only a few handfuls of pure Turkana blood bichirs. I'm not sure about the Turkana sens. When I was looking at fish over there I didn't see anything about Turkana sens being sold or bred.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
From what I have seen of albino sens I would not keep it with anything bigger than a species that caps around 14" the albinos just do not seem to get big (in general there are exceptions to every rule) and grow pretty slow.

My albino is around 8 years old. It is just shy of 6" long. The only reason I am comfortable having it with my bigger sens is that it is FAT.

Reactions: Bichir Love

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
From what i understand about teugs is that they stay in the skinnier side. Dr.B Dr.B and DMD123 DMD123 should be able to further elaborate but i dont think he would have a problem. From what i see on the forums its usually younger endli's eating other polys. Not all fish are the same as far as temperment but as an example i have a 5ish inch little sen in the same tank as a 13ish inch endli and have no issues at all.

I think its more about girth and how wide the mouth is rather than length.

20160506_183258_zpsemlbopdh.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Also since smaller teugs are harder to find maybe op would substitute one for a gold dust (just as good looking imo) wetspot has gold dust and dels at smaller sizes

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I had a 5" ornate ate a 3" endli, it really depends on the temperment of the fish like jaws777 mentioned, Cause i put a 1" sen with the same ornate that ate my endli, and so far the sen is growing and its 3" now while my ornate is 6", im not saying he/she will eat the sen but so far nothing happen yet.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
There really isnt playing it safe lol we try our best but most fish no matter the species have plans of there own. That same little sen i have was beating up on two cb endli in another tank and both were bigger than the sen.

Only way we know things will work is trying lol. Im sure if any poly is starved it would eventually try and eat a tankmate...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
J jaws7777 your sen is on a different level, lolz sen should be the most peaceful and non aggressive poly.:)

Hahaha dont jynx urself dude as soon as we think we have this figured out the fish gods start throwing curve balls

I've also had an aggressive male Sen who chased other males for breeding rights lol.:)
Yeah but then you throw on a little barry white and boom chicka boom boom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store