Looks like a rod coming out side of mouth and under jaw

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
(There isn't much fighting in this tank. Only one other fish is as big as he is/slightly bigger and it is an African that doesn't fight the same way.)

I am concerned that he is still hiding a lot, but I guess it is what it is. I hope he makes it.
I've been dealing with lymphocystis for some time in my tank. The fish can eventually get over it and build up an immunity to the virus so future outbreaks aren't as bad. The problem with your fish is that the sores are so close to its gills. If It does spread to the gills than the chances of recovery go down. There's really nothing you can treat it with because there's no cure, but keeping stress to a minimum should help. I've read that stress is a big contributor to these kind of outbreaks. So make sure the water is clean, add some salt and make sure it's not getting bullied by tank mates.
Mine actually went away after a week of Seachem's Paraguard, but Polyguard is supposed to be even more efficient. My female Carpintis had them and even though it is indeed a virus, perhaps a combination of the Paraguard and the beneficial microorganisms in Hikari Bio-Gold+ gave her an immune system-boost and it became strong enough to fight of the virus.

Try treating w/ Paraguard according to the directions, everyday for a week or 2. I'm just finishing the cycle now, this weekend will be 2 weeks. I was rather annoyed at the amount and frequency I had to use this product, but overall I am VERY happy with the outcome of it. here's the thread for reference, H Horsechick

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/raised-up-reddish-pink-bumps.664630/

Shoutouts to pops pops Wailua Boy Wailua Boy Charney Charney Aquanero Aquanero K krichardson Skalper666 Skalper666 and everyone else that walked me through using this new medication

Last edited:

Bobbybillymike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2016
Richmond
Yeah absolutely treat with rounds of medications to help with secondary bacterial infections. Sorry I should have made that clear. Also not a bad idea in case this infection is NOT lymphocystis

Reactions: Frank Castle

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Thanks for the shout out Eric, glad it has all turned out well,:)

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I would lean toward a lympho infection, not much to do except provide top notch water quality and nutrition and let the fish's own immune system do the rest. There seems to be a increase in lympho occurrences in the last 6 months to year. IMO

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey

Horsechick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2015
Hi guys, sorry I didn't update earlier, my life went a bit nuts. The fish is fine, he got more lumps but now it seems to be going away and most are smaller if not gone. Hopefully he doesn't have another outbreak in future. It sure seems to be a common issue with the Texas cichlids.... No other tank members seem to have it though.

Thanks so much for the help and replies!!!

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
If it's lymphocystis then it isn't lethal and typically subsides when there is little stress.

It's like Don Conkel told me: "People say there's no cure for lymphocystis but I'll tell ya if you throw a fish with lymphocystis in a pond it will disappear."

Reactions: Horsechick

Horsechick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2015
I
If it's lymphocystis then it isn't lethal and typically subsides when there is little stress.

It's like Don Conkel told me: "People say there's no cure for lymphocystis but I'll tell ya if you throw a fish with lymphocystis in a pond it will disappear."
I think my nitrates got a bit high was the issue. I've been doing extra WC and am looking at another canister filter to add to the HOB.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I

I think my nitrates got a bit high was the issue. I've been doing extra WC and am looking at another canister filter to add to the HOB.
you can never have too much filtration but additional filters will not lower the nitrates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store