Lost my Green Scat today :(

trillassgator

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
The Crib
Woke up this morning n seen this guy on the bottom of my tank being sucked on by my pleco. Its a sad day had this guy for 2yrs, grew him out since it was 4" he was pushing almost 9". Cant determine the cause of death which sucks..

image.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss. Looked like a good sized fish too.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Full fresh? Showed no signs of stress or illness days prior? Looked like a nice specimen. Currently growing out 16 of all species..... Hope I can get them all to this size.

trillassgator

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2013
The Crib
Full fresh? Showed no signs of stress or illness days prior? Looked like a nice specimen. Currently growing out 16 of all species..... Hope I can get them all to this size.
Showed a small sign of stress now that i think about it, kinda swimming upwards and against the current. Yea he was in fully fresh water..

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
the water killed the scat , it's well known now they die in fresh water
Thread is almost eight years old and pretty much long gone; not much point in resurrecting it.
Though scats tend to require brackish, I have witnessed firsthand a small school of massive green and silver scats in pure fresh with African cichlids (and no, they weren't tiger scats). Owner of the tank had apparently grown them out for many years with zero losses, despite the odd choice of fish and water. Seems as though high TDS and pH were the key to keeping them alive in fresh.
The brackish 'requirement' was always well-known, at least from what I could see in stores many years ago. Don't think it's necessarily true, but I don't think it'd be recommended to avoid salt if one doesn't know what they're doing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store