LPH

zippy955

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
vancouver canada
I currently have a 210 gallon setup with Megaflow 4. I currently have 2 pumps running @ 2970 LPH for a combined 5940 LPH. This does sound like a lot however the water flow in the tank is quite suttle. Im just wondering if there is a general or average LHP that you should be running at per gallon.

Thanks

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Hope you get some answers soon... :D

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
What kind, how many and what size fish are in there?

Some fish need a strong current while others don't.

Is the filter keeping the tank clean? (bottom/corners)

You should see some current with 7x turnover.

Pix wouldn't hurt here. ;)

Dr Joe

fishyjoe26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
plano texas
yeah what is your stock and what does lph compute to in gph?

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
The general rule of thumb for filtration as advised by a few polls done here on mfk and other websites. Suggest that a 10x turn over rate is needed if you are running hang on the back filters. And if you are running canister filters than a 7-9x turn over rate is needed. And if you have a sump filtration system then 4-6x turn overs should be good if the sump is set up well. And these were all done for high stock load tanks. Your tank is 210 gallons and your pumps are pushing 1569gph that would give you a 7.47 times per hour turn over rate which is really good as long as you have a sump for filtration and right on the bottom if you have a canister filter. I do not know the megaflow 4. So i would say that you have a good amount of turn over and flow. KNow all you may need to do is redirect some of your flow to area's that need it. If you have some dead spot in the tank where debris is collecting then adding a power head with flow in that area can be a quick fix.

zippy955

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
vancouver canada
alrite, thanks everyone....

I have a large marble ray app. 18" across or about 24" from front to back
1 year old super chili red arowana app. 16"
2 medium parrot fish
1 alagator gar app. 12"
1 sm-med jack demsey
1 bichir app. 16"
1 plecostomus app. 8"

I read up that a safe average was 10% and figured it to be just over 7% before posting but wanted a second opinion. Its not that im finding waste or leftover in cornors, and other places, i just didnt like not knowing where it should be at...

Thanks

you can see some pics at http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1194

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
You've got a heavy bio-load there but if everyone is happy together and the filter is keeping the water chemistry up, it looks like you are good to go.

And if those pix (sweet) where taken after the tank had been up a while it looks like your doing real good.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free o ask..

And thanks for sharing those great pix too.

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store