Male Betta Died!!Help

kalyan1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
India
Hi....i had a Betta couple...and female had lot of eggs..so i put the male and female together..they spawned...female had torn fin..then i separated the female..left the male to guard the eggs..but today approx after 24 hours male had lost its color and looked sick and was away from eggs..and many eggs had fallen down..so i removed the male and put it into fresh jar and put some medicine..within half an hour male died..but in the main tank there are lot of eggs still in the bubble nest...

so wat maybe the reason of his death??is it fin rot from female??female is apparently ok yest..but not so active today..

will the eggs and fry survive and how much time it takes to hatch??

wat can i do to save the fry??

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Hmm not sure if the Betta (male) fertilizes the eggs before he puts them in the nest. Am thinking yes so the fry should be okay, may be wrong. And before you breed them i would fatten them up really well

kalyan1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
India
if the eggs are fertilised,still male is needed right??to keep the eggs in bubble nest if they fall down and also to keep the fry in bubble nest untill they become free swimming...

how much time it takes to hatch becoz almost 50 percent of bubble nest is dispersed since male is not there to maintain it...

the eggs will fertilized right??only then male will put it into the bubble nest,isnt it??

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
fertilization happens when the male is squeezing the female
..no you should be fine.leave the nest they should hatch and most will fall to the bottom..in about 3 days they will be free swimming and youll need to start feeding

sorry for your loss but continue the care for the eggs..put something in the water..antifungal meds in the tank or, Almond leaf the male would normally keep them clean.

kalyan1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
India
Kaosu;4639685; said:
fertilization happens when the male is squeezing the female
..no you should be fine.leave the nest they should hatch and most will fall to the bottom..in about 3 days they will be free swimming and youll need to start feeding
wat happens to the eggs which are fallen..and wen eggs hatch,fry will fall down right???do they survive?

wen i should start filter running..i hav got a culture of infusoria ready to feed them...in our place we dont get brine shrimp or micro-worm or in fact anything..
we just get pellets..thats why iam breeding mosquito larvae

also if i put anti fungal to the tank,does it affect the fry or eggs??

kalyan1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
India
update-i see 50-80 fry and its 3rd day..i see around 10 of them in horizontal free floating stage and they look thin(yolk sac has gone) but rest of them are seen sticking to the wall..is it normal???
i siphoned out dead ones and eggs which didnt hatch and also with forceps i removed unfertilized eggs

wen the male died i placed a plastic lid under bubble nest..so there was a half inch depth of water between lid and bubble nest..and the fry hatched and fell down to the base of lid and they wer able to swim back to surface..

kalyan1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
India
I used 5 gallons tank..bought a male betta from LFS becoz old one died of fin rot:-(..
and female betta was full with eggs..thats why i got the new one quickly..

kept the male in the tank and female in the jar and placed the jar inside the tank..
male started to attract female and he started building a nest..

next day i put female in the tank..for some time he chased her..fins got torn..so i got scared becoz previously lot of bettas have died of fin rot inspite of medications..seprated them again..

next day the nest was bigger and again i tried leaving female into the tank..and this time success..

The Nest

Female Betta but it has torn fin but belly full of eggs

Male and female

Afterwards separated the female..kept her in clean jar and added salt and medicine..

The male started watching over the eggs..but wen i woke up next morning he was not well and acting strange..he was not eating eggs but he was kind of struggling..and had lost his color and he was destroying the nest..i so took him out & kept him clean jar and added medcine..but he was not feeding..He died after half an hour..

By this time about 30-50 eggs had fallen down..then i googled to check how save other eggs..i read that wen fry hatch they fall to bottom and male picks them and puts them back to nest..Without male, If the depth of water too high they cant swim up and they die..

So used a plastic lid and slipped it below the nest gently and there was half inch gap between nest and bottom of lid..so the if the fry fall down they just hav to swim short distance up..and also i added antifungal medicine.

Picture is not so clear..but thats lid with black specs(fry) and u can see some fallen unfertilized eggs too.

Today is the third day...and i see some free swimming ones and many are still vertical and have yolk sac..hopefully tomorrow all will be in free swimming stage..then i will start infusoria

Sadly these fry have become orphans..both parents are dead now..please tell me how to prevent these deaths & save bettas...lot of them hav died of fin rot..i used medicines,salt and clean water and 3 day water change..

Iam new to this hobby..if there are any mistakes about my methods please let me know.

kalyan1986

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
India
UPDATE-
the remaining 50 fry are good and free floating..i dont see any dead ones in the bottom of the tank and i do 10-20 percent water change daily...

i hav doubt to ask..in net i read that, u can put egg yolk to the fry...is it correct??
please explain me if u know about this..right now iam feeding them infusoria..in our place we dont get fry food or anything at all except fish pellets..LFS people also has no knowledge abt raising fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store