Marineland C360 leaking after plunger stuck

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
After doing a water change I pushed down the plunger on top of my c360 and it got stuck. I found a fix od using olive oil and a small screw driver which worked and it popped back up. I put the lid back on started her up and it started leaking really badly from under the handles.

Using google search I have found this is a common problem after the plunger button sticks but I have not found any solutions. Has anyone had this issue and have a fix?

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Searching google for anything can make that thing seem like a common problem/series of problems... I once had a lady tell me that a she wanted to return a toilet because that brand always leaked from the left tank bolt.

I have no experience with this canister, but looking at it quickly, I am going to say that the plunger sticking and the leak around the handles are completely unrelated, other than the fact that both happened to you at the same time. Did the cover gasket get pinched or damaged in the process? That is likely causing the leak around the handles. Careful inspection should lead you to the cause.

D_Nicepumpkin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2015
the cave
Deffinatly check the gasket, they get pinched fairly easily, if there is no visible damage to the gasket, use a small amount of Vaseline to create a better seal. Btw melted Vaseline works best to keep the button permanently free

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I would be careful with petroleum products like vaseline on gaskets that are frequently accessed. Rubber soaks these products in and swells. Instead, use a silicone lubricant, or cooking oil.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Brook Keeper that is very true what you said about google. It may just be coincidence that it happened at the same time maybe not.

I called marineland last night. They also suggested silicone lubricant so I am going to give it a try. I checked the gasket and it looked fine but cant hurt to try. They said it could be the motor and I was shocked that they said they are sending me a new one now. A+ for customer services. I really don't think it is either I think its the plunger. I think it is some how letting water into the lid. I will update when I find out what is wrong.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
So marine land sent me a whole new lid and problem solved. Looks like they are using much better (thicker) O rings now as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store