Marineland c360 leaking question

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
I've done the research and bought a new O ring to stop my c360 from leaking from the clamps. This still hasn't solved the issue so the next step is silicone plumbers grease. My question, is silicone based plumbers grease safe? Or is there an alternative?

I bought this filter from a guy at the LFS for 100$, It worked for like two days then I noticed the leak. Shockingly he wouldn't answer my phone calls.... lesson learned. Not buying used filters anymore.

But I still want to try to get it serviceable because I'd love to use it for my discus tank.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
100 percent silicone grease is fine, as a FYI should use it on your o-ring every time you open your canisters to keep them from drying out.

Reactions: Lawlboom

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
100 percent silicone grease is fine, as a FYI should use it on your o-ring every time you open your canisters to keep them from drying out.
Thanks, will do. It seems to have stopped leaking for now but I don't trust it. I have it sitting in a plastic tote for now.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Screenshot of the conversation I had with Marineland's customer service on Facebook..View attachment 1151831
Yeah I bought the replacement gasket kit and the replacement O ring was MUCH thicker than the original one. It's been running for over and an hour now with no leaks. I'm still going to pick up the grease when I go out today and will apply when I do my water changes this evening.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
fatter ring may just be do to shrinkage of the old as its dried out.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Yeah, the gaskets failing seems to be a common issue with them. I actually hooked mine to a Sunsun prefilter. I use the Sunsun for mechanical and have all four trays of the C-360 shoved full of bio media. So I pretty much never open up the C-360 now.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
and you could be right, I do know O-rings can shrink up pretty good when dried out. But that does not mean they did not go to a fatter O-ring to help re leave failures to seal.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
The O rings do look different. The old one was black and slender and the same shape all the way around. This new one is clear and seems to fit around tighter and I thought I would have to roll it into place... but it snapped right in perfectly.
Yeah, the gaskets failing seems to be a common issue with them. I actually hooked mine to a Sunsun prefilter. I use the Sunsun for mechanical and have all four trays of the C-360 shoved full of bio media. So I pretty much never open up the C-360 now.
So you have a sun sun hooked into a C360?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store