Mascara Barb?

aquaman1123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2012
Moon
Very cool barbs very active and peasceful. I have seen 8 inch specimens but they were in a pond for years. The males get a cool green sheen on them. They are very hardy also. They go great with roseline sharks. My lfs has them and they are around 15 bucks for a two incher. I have bred them before in a 50 breeder with a school of 5 of them. They scatter eggs and the young just hid in the plastic plants till I put them in a growout tank all their own. Although your lfs is steep on price if you really want them get them you will be glad you did. They are fine inpairs but since they shoal the more the merrier.
im pretty sure you have filament barbs puntius filamentosa, they go $15 everywhere. assimilis dont get 8" no matter how long you keep them in a pond 5" is their max size, most specimens never top 4"

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Is your 345 from Pet-O-Rama?. They had one very simular and I have been eyeing that thing for a while. Anyways your tank looks great. You did a fantastic job.

Pet-O-Rama is under new ownership as of a few days ago and he is completly re-doing their fish section. Everything has been rearanged and they have another truck load of tanks coming in on Monday. Talking with the new owner, it sounds like they are really going all out. They are also putting in a 500 gallon freshwater show tank.He said they should have it all up and running in about 10 days.

Do you live around Keller? Im on the North side off of 170 and Altavista.
Yep, got it from the Pet o Rama in Mansfield. Thank you for the compliment.

You're not too far from me, I'm in Keller, off of Ray White and Tarrant.

TheBigB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
North Texas
Yep, got it from the Pet o Rama in Mansfield. Thank you for the compliment.

You're not too far from me, I'm in Keller, off of Ray White and Tarrant.
Nice, we should grab a beer sometime. Bronson rock right there is pretty cool if you haven't been.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I'm down, haven't been to Bronson rock yet, normally hit up Up in Smoke; just shoot me a pm.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
im pretty sure you have filament barbs puntius filamentosa, they go $15 everywhere. assimilis dont get 8" no matter how long you keep them in a pond 5" is their max size, most specimens never top 4"
Yeah after checking them out I do have filament barbs I have had mascara barbs too but they died they are soooooooo similiar

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I've never seen these. They're pretty freaken cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store