Mbuna species-only tank for 20L, 20H, 29 or 30BR.?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Got a few empty tanks I'm trying to figure out what I want to stock, so I'm a CA/SA cichlid-guy, but I've done numerous Mbuna and African riverine species before. Tap water comes out at 7.6ph, so I figured, why not, let's have 2 continents instead of just 1.

Any advice on stocking besides the 2 smaller obvious choices, Yellow Lab and Johanni?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Saulosi should work in the 30br. The other tanks I would look at a few of the west Africans like buffalo heads or Anomalochromis thomasi. There's a lot of west Africans that are really cool.

Reactions: Frank Castle

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would not do mbuna in 20L, 20H. Agree saulosi have been known to work in 29G.

With 40BR (36x18) you might be able to do some other mbuna like rusties, afra (zabroides).

I would want 48x18 for johannii, they are aggressive.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia

With 40BR (36x18) you might be able to do some other mbuna like rusties, afra (zabroides).

Wow. You'd use a 4 foot tank for 1M, 3F Johanni and they barely grow 5"?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I would stock them 1m:7f because they are aggressive. In a 48x18 or larger. Size isn't everything, LOL.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I have 7 mbuna in a 30 gallon, just have lots of cover and concealment. The dominant fish are very out of sight out of mind, when it comes to harassment.
4 yellow labs 1m/3f
2 psudoelongatus m/f
2 female strawberries.
In an wide open tank, it's a cage fight.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Saulosi should work in the 30br. The other tanks I would look at a few of the west Africans like buffalo heads or Anomalochromis thomasi. There's a lot of west Africans that are really cool.
U got any GOOD pics of them...I'm not familiar to them. As far as Africans, I've done Kennyii, Johanni, Auratus, "Red Zebra", Yellow Lab, "Peacocks" and a few other Pseudotropheus I can't remember the names, and then Jewels, and Kribensis

The only Johanni I had was alone with the rest of the fish I jjust mentioned, commanded by a female Red Devil I had to put somewhere immediately and as-idiotic-as-a-choice-I-made, research told me Africans are the only fish fast enough to escape her wrath and survive in the same conditions. Right, so anyway, it ended up "hybridizing" with an Auratus. Show me pictures and I'll tell you what sex the Auratus was, but I really forget the color scheme for dimorphism, sadly.
I would stock them 1m:7f because they are aggressive. In a 48x18 or larger. Size isn't everything, LOL.
See Above. :) Mine was kinda of a punk compared to the Pseudotropheus and even the Labs, Bro....and at 2 yrs, it was like 3.5" ....maybe. Lombardi owned that tank when the Devil was sleeping.
I have 7 mbuna in a 30 gallon, just have lots of cover and concealment. The dominant fish are very out of sight out of mind, when it comes to harassment.
4 yellow labs 1m/3f
2 psudoelongatus m/f
2 female strawberries.
In an wide open tank, it's a cage fight.
That's what I want - 6-8 fish, just 1 male though. How many baby-makers can I keep, my dudes?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
My blue pseudotrophus elongustus, is the tank dictator. His female counter part is quite dominant also. They both have their favorite corner and don't go looking for trouble much. They just guard their rock. The male will roam the tank causing trouble, but he only pursues other fish too the next corner.
Before I added a elaborate habitat, every fish hid in my moss bed except the blue male.
The bigest female strawberry fire fish, has PMS as she is ready too spawn. Yes hybrid potential but the fish are pink and my wife likes them. I am hoping the extra females will keep the two boys happy. So far neither of them seem interested.
The female fire fish is normally very calm, I am hoping she spawns with a male and not just do the solo thing with unfertilized eggs.
My smaller strawberry did this.
The female blue psudotrophus is holding eggs and the male does not bother her much.
Oh I also have 3 local creek cubs that distract the attention span of the dictator. They normally stay in a tight school. The blue male has a hard time going after 3.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You have to be careful with mbuna in a 20G, but the 30 breeder should be fine. I have successfully kept, mbuna, peacocks, tanks, etc in a 40 breeder. To keep them in anything smaller creates a lot of risk and is something you have to watch and manage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store